Sync. JS error

I get this kind of error. Untill recently everything was fine. I may have a suspition that the computer (shared) might have had the JS update recently. How to set it all back again? The server test in the settings menu>sync. is OK.

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processZipDownload :: line 1234" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1234}]

[extra output removed — D.S.]

Platform: WinXP; Firefox 3.6.9; JS ?
Zotero 2.1.10

Report id 1497284443 (most recent)
  • First, upgrade to Zotero 3.0, which I believe will give you a more helpful error message for this. You're also running an extremely out-of-date version of Firefox with security bugs. Upgrade to the latest 3.6 version or 10.0.

This indicates a permissions problem accessing your Zotero data directory. Fix the permissions and try again. This is often due to security software on your system.
  • Hello again,

I did all suggested updates with no resolution to the problem. I uninstalled and installed back again zotero by the firefox addons menu - no change. Uninstalled and moved the zotero dir, than installed a fresh copy that had all the settings back again (registry?). No help <<Error rep.1>>.
    The dirs (new and old) were partly read only - made them fully accessable - no help. I still get <<Error rep.2>>. Maybe its sth. about the Webdav?

<<Error rep.1>>

[JavaScript Error: "Cr is not defined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/locateManager.js" line: 521}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Invalid MIME type image/vnd.microsoft.icon for icon for engine Pubget Lookup' when calling method: [nsIStreamListener::onStopRequest]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing.

Click the sync icon to resolve them.' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "_mergeGroup.rightpane.original is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/merge.js" line: 243}]

[JavaScript Error: "Shortening filename to 'mootools.more.js,scripts.js,vote_plugin.js,medforum.js,xgemius.js,slideshow.js,userprofilecomplement.js,invite.js,mootools-1.2.3.1-scroll.j.js'" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1188}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processZipDownload :: line 1240" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1240}]

<<Error rep.2>> after removing read-only:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processZipDownload :: line 1240" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1240}]

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 895}]

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.permissions]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 895}]
  • It's quite likely due to security software on your system. They shouldn't become read-only on their own.

(And no need to post full error output. A Report ID will suffice.)
  • The saga continues. 1648055955
    I disabled NOD32 via msconfig cause its a corporate PC and I don't have a password to NOD32 but I have administrative account :)
    Files aren't read only any more. I tried to delete, or switch a dir that is thought to cause problems - 4HI8C8WU but it doesn't help.

The other computer with similar config that used to be mine and still has zotero has the same problem!

WebDAV that I use has not reached quota. But I had a suspicion that it could be sth about it cause normal databese entries sync home correctly.

I am getting close to critical mess (yes mess, not mass :) Please help!
  • Since this is a file sync error, you can try just deleting the offending item, and then it won't try to sync that file. Obviously I can't guarantee that you won't have problems with other files, since I don't know what exactly on your system was preventing this from working.

If you're logged in, https://www.zotero.org/users/jmeyerszary/items/itemKey/4HI8C8WU should show you the item in question. Delete that from your local version of Zotero and empty the trash, and then try syncing again.

Alternatively, delete the 4HI8C8WU folder from your WebDAV server.
  • I did so, the previous problem has changed into
  • edited February 22, 2012
    For starters, upgrade to the latest version of Zotero. You're still running 3.0.1. Provide another Report ID if you still get an error with 3.0.3.

and btw: in the zotero options menu / general when I clicked upgrade it said up-to-date. The Firefox plugins update function worked.
  • The button in the General pane of the Zotero preferences doesn't have anything to do with the Zotero version—that's for Zotero's daily translator updates. Zotero updates like any other Firefox extension. If you were on 3.0.1, you should check your Firefox add-on auto-update settings. 3.0.2 came out over a week ago, and 3.0.3 a few days after that, so it should have auto-installed or prompted by now. (It's also possible you just haven't restarted Firefox in over a week. I forget the specifics of when it prompts.)

Re: your error, can you install the latest 3.0 Branch dev XPI and generate a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error? Something changed in Firefox's reporting of long filenames—which is the problem here—and we need to update Zotero to handle it.
  • done

• edited March 3, 2012
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG) [nsIZipReader.extract]" nsresult: "0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processZipDownload :: line 1230" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1230}]
    That's a strange error. Could you update to the latest 3.0 dev build (should show as 3.0.3.r10868 or later after installation) and generate another Debug ID?
  • The Debug ID is D1365519807.
  • I restarterd Firefox and generated a new one with 'start log on startup' option:
    1209185275 and The Debug ID is D974056865.
  • edited February 24, 2012
    Based on the code, this error really shouldn't be possible. It shouldn't matter, but is this a non-English system?

Are you running some sort of security or encryption software? If the former, you might try disabling it and performing the sync again, in case it's interfering somehow.

Basically, when Zotero is syncing down a snapshot (which is compressed into a ZIP file at upload time), for each file in the ZIP it creates a test file with the same name in the attachment's directory to make sure it will work—that the filename isn't too long, etc. If that succeeds, it then extracts the file from the ZIP into that same location. In your case, somehow, the test file is working (according to the debug output) but the extraction to the same place is failing with a filename-too-long error.

After this occurs, does the file C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Dane aplikacji\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\r[random].default\zotero\storage\QCC8CPDV\TmllZG9teWthbG5vc[...long string of characters...] exist?
  • This is madness! Now it synced w/o errors. This is strange - I opened the QCC8CPDV folder in the browser to check for the content - empty. I synced - error and the folder was empty. Just to be sure I synced againg - it took him a while (like few minutes, since the error i addeed many pdf to local db) and it synced w/o problem. The folder in question is still empty.

The system is polish and I might have made a snapshot of polish webpage that might have been involved in the problem.

What do you think?
  • No, it doesn't work after all. The error apears. The other computer has updated list of titles and child attachments (pdf's) but can't open them - doesn't sync sucessfully.
  • Try the latest 3.0 Branch dev XPI. If it still fails, provide another Debug ID.
  • I went to the WebDAV and deleted QCC8CPDV.zip and .prop - Now it works and both comp's are up-to-date with pdf's. Do you want me to put the file back on place and probive another Debug ID with the latest branch dev xpi?
  • When you have a moment. I put in a possible fix on the dev XPI, and it'd be good to know if it helps.
  • No, it doesn't help. Do you have access to the file? Would you like to get the .zip and .prop?
  • The file doesn't matter. A Debug ID would be helpful, though.
  • I don't get it - now the latest solution seems to work. D1247133186
  • edited February 29, 2012
    If you previously deleted the file and synced successfully, it won't try to sync the file again unless the 'lastsync' file in the WebDAV folder has been updated, which happens when another client syncs (or possibly when you add a file locally and sync). You can trigger it manually by deleting and recreating that file.
  • So i triggered with the other comp. The problem persists. D1460679082

BTW: The branch introduced a minor bug - the newly oped option window has a blank button "start" in the debug log section. Once pressed "stop" shows correctly, and when pressed again "start" appears as it should.
  • Thanks. We'll see what we can do. You might want to keep that file around in case we need further testing, since you're likely to continue to encounter this error with other files in the future.

By the way, it's unlikely to help with this, but you're still using a very old version of Firefox, 3.6.18, on this system. You really should be running either the latest 3.6 or, preferably, the latest 10.0 release.
    the newly oped option window has a blank button "start" in the debug log section
    That's not really a bug. That's just related to the note about non-English locales on the dev builds page.
  • I believe this should be fixed in the latest 3.0 Branch dev XPI.