SQLITE file size jumped/ballooned in one day

I've been using Dropbox to sync my entire Zotero folder across 2 computers for a few years, and added a 3rd computer (new laptop) last month. I'd often get "conflicted copy" errors, but the SQLITE file size remained pretty steady around 10-15 MB, and I never noticed any missing or duplicated reference errors.

Last week, my sqlite file ballooned to 80 MB, but I haven't yet noticed anything unusual while operating in Firefox or MS Word. Unfortunately, I didn't notice if my Storage folder also grew overnight. The Database Integrity tool said it was OK, and after uploading it to the Database Rebuilder tool, the size only went from 83MB to 81MB.

Any idea how this could have happened, and/or how to clean it up & compress it back to where it was? I suspect a bunch of references may have somehow been unrecognized & duplicated in the syncing process, but who knows. (Not an urgent problem, but strange, and potentially a symptom of a major future problem). Thanks!
  • Syncing your database via Dropbox is strongly advised against. It can permanently and irretrievably damage your database.
    While you're free to use it nevertheless, we can't help you troubleshoot any issues resulting from that set-up.

Zotero offers free data syncing, reasonably priced file syncing, and the possibility to sync files through a third party WebDav service of your choice for free (or rather the price of the WebDAV). I would suggest you use one of these solutions.
  • Seconding what adamsmith says: don't use Dropbox to share the Zotero database among clients, it's not a safe strategy.