MHRA style, author form for (first occurrence) footnote

Hello

Apologies if this has been answered before (I have searched the forums, but couldn't find an answer).

For a footnote, the mhra.csl style used in Zotero seems to be setup to give 'lastname, firstname' for the first occurrence in a footnote. However, the MHRA style specifies 'firstname, lastname' for the first instance in a footnote (with subsequent references omitting the firstname, so just being lastname).

Can anyone help with how to alter the style so that this is done correctly?

Many thanks!
Jon
  • I'll have a look. Might take a little while.
  • the style will never do that. What's the context? How are you inserting citations?
  • Dear adamsmith -

Following your comment I checked everything again and have realised that I had not understood that Zotero distinguishes between 'corporate author' and 'personal author' using the 'Switch to single field' / 'Switch to two fields' toggle, and that personal authors must be entered as two fields, not as 'last name, first name' (in one field, with a 'manual' comma).

After correcting the form of the 'author' field my problem is now resolved and the footnote shows correctly.

Perhaps the info box that appears when you hover over the toggle should indicate more clearly the implications of the choice?

Many thanks for the help.
  • I agree that's not described/documented well, yes.
    I would prefer to actually label the single field mode "corporate authors" (or so), but I believe there are reservations against that.