LibreOffice : Missing toolbar icons (but toolbar working)

2»
  • edited November 16, 2015
    The problem can still happen years later. Here is the (easy) fix for those of us who use Windows.

Delete your LibreOffice profile
    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile#Resetting_the_User-Profile

The problem is likely that java inserted some junk
    (see - Options : LibreOffice : Advanced Expert : Configuration)
    When you reinstall it just adds more junk [you will see an entry for each attempt you made]. Since it is in your profile it isn't uninstalled.

Many thanks to the LibreOffice folks for sending me to the right direction. And for fun read the senseless rant from someone who uses FAOS software but demands that someone hold his hand along the way.
    https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/24211/how-to-reset-libre-to-original-default-settings/

So yes, this is a programming error in the integrator that someone should fix so that reinstall looks first to see if LibreOffice has Java configuration data already for Zotero and deletes it.
  • edited March 30, 2016
    Thanks to cheflo, removing the extensions directory did the trick for me on a Mac with Libreoffice 5.1.1. There was no need to reset the entire user profile. Here's the exact line for OS X:

rm -r Library/Application\ Support/LibreOffice/4/user/extensions/
  • I am having the same problem. No 'Zotero' icons being displayed in libreoffice.
    I deleted extensions but could not find any cache or temp in the referred location.
    rm -rf .config/libreoffice/4/user/extensions/
    It did not solve the issue.

My configuration is:

ubuntu 14.04
    libreoffice 4.2.8.2
    firefox 54.0
    64 bit OS: x86_64

I could not get any clickable 'options' tab in firefox -> tools -> add ons -> extensions -> Zotero LibreOffice Integration
    There is a preference tab which unfortunately does not interact (i.e., remains idle upon clicking)

• Clicking the "Preferences" button opens Zotero preferences (unfortunately, hidden behind the current window, which is forced to be on top). In Zotero preferences you should go to Cite -> Word Processor Integration and press Install for LO plugin. Make sure you have Java installed and we recommend upgrading LibreOffice to the latest fresh version.
  • Hello adomasven,

Thanks. I opened zotero standalone. went to add-ons -> extensions -> preferences (pops up at the back as you correctly suggested) -> cite -> word processors -> install libreoffice Add-in -> completing the steps as suggested returns this errorlog:

"Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice is closed, and then restart Zotero."

I repeated it a few times with no luck yet ensuring libreoffice is closed.

• Make sure there isn't a stalled libreoffice process running in a background. A computer restart will usually clear those.
  • Hello adomasven,

Thanks. It's working after a version upgradation of libreoffice to v.5.

One final query. Previously I used to get the references from my online zotero library which is synced with the standalone zotero. Now, every time I am asking to open the satandalone zotero or set it to an online state.

Can you suggest how to set it to an online state / mode so that I do not need to open the standalone version all the time and the refs can be cited from the online library whenever I am logged in.

• Presumably you had Zotero for Firefox installed, which had the full functionality of Zotero Standalone and that's where the plugin fetched your citations from. However with the release of Zotero 5.0 we were forced to discontinue the Firefox version and only the desktop client remains. You can keep the client in the background, but will have to have it open to work with your library properly both within the internet browser and document processors.
  • Ok. That would also serve the purpose. Thanks allot.
  • I had the same problem. Just delete extension's folder worked for me.

rm -r .config/libreoffice/4/user/extensions/

Thanks Cheflo!
  • I have deleted all the folders described by Cheflo, and reinstall the extension in libreoffice, however, the icons are still missing.
    I am using ubuntu 20.04, Libreoffice 6.4.3, zotero 5.0.
    Could anybody help me out?
  • @feng_zhou: Did you try just moving the entire LO profile directory out of the way and trying with a fresh profile?
  • @dstillman Where are these files located in ubuntu? Could you please provide me with a detailed step?
    I am just switching from windows to ubuntu recently, and I don't fully get around with ubuntu's file system.
  • @cheflo 's solution did the trick for me. Specifically the last line. I closed LibreOffice, ran this on the terminal:

rm -r .config/libreoffice/4/user/extensions/

And when I restarted the icons were there. For reference, I'm using an Ubuntu-based distribution called Pop!_OS, v. 20.10.

Thank you!
  • It's 2023, a full 11 years after this post was made, and I have the same problem: the toolbar is there, but all the buttons are spelled out in text (e.g. "Add/Edit Citation") instead of being icons, though they appear to be working fine. I only noticed it today. Last time I used Zotero, about a week ago, everything was fine.

I am running Libre Office 7.6.4.1 and Zotero 6.0.30 on Windows 10 (build 19045).

The solutions offered here seem to work for Ubuntu but do not seem to apply to Windows.

I tried reinstalling the plugin and the only made things worse: now the toolbar appears as "AddOn 1" instead of "Zotero". Yes, it's an insignificant change, but it's a step back, a sign of something else not working.
  • edited January 2, 2024
    @lazark2: Did you try deleting the LibreOffice user profile folder, as suggested above? That's the most likely fix here. This is a problem with your LO installation, not Zotero.
  • @dstillman: thanks for that link. I could not find, for the life of me, the user folder in Windows, so I thought this might be an Ubuntu-only thing. So I did it and it worked, though I had to re-create keyboard shortcuts and other personal tweaks I had created in Writer. It was a bit of a hassle, but not too much. Hopefully this isn't going to be a frequent recurrence.