Zotero for non-Intel, non-networked Mac?

Hi All,

I have an old PowerPC Powerbook that I use as a portable typewriter. I have pulled the airport card as a commitment device, and thus the machine has no access to the web. I'd like to port Zotero over and run it on Firefox in offline mode. Zotero Standalone will not work on the machine because it does not have Intel architecture. Firefox does run fine. I don't know, however, how to install Zotero, and transfer all of my files, etc. to this machine using a USB drive (instead of doing so via the web). Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!
Rob
  • Two options:
    1) You can just copy the Firefox profile from your main computer on an USB stick and copy it to the typewriter
    OR
    2) Download Zotero installer on the USB stick and then open it from the USB stick using Firefox on the typewriter. Export your Zotero library on the main computer on the USB stick and then import these items to the typewriter.

I would recommend number 1 if it works for you.
  • edited February 3, 2012
    generally for moving data
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
    I think you'll have to work with FF 3.6 and I'm not sure if the 3.0 version of Zotero will work on PPC (but since it works with FF 3.6 I think it should).
    Generally, don't blame Zotero when you experience the occasional glitch on a 10 year old set-up, but mostly this should work well.

edit - yes, use mronkko's option 1) - my link should provide some additional help on that.
  • 3.0 should work, but note that Firefox 3.6's days are numbered. We might drop 3.6 support in the next major release, since Mozilla is dropping support in April (though there might be unofficial builds). That said, it sounds like you're OK running things that are slightly out of date...
  • Ah, this is what I figured would work, but figured I'd better check first. Thanks for all the helpful (and fast!) replies.