overflow with large document OO

i work since 1 year on a thesis, actually 226 pages and 250 citations.
When working with OO2.1 and Zotero 1.01, at a moment, an error occured sometimes when inserting a new citation: "value or data type incorrect, overflow" (it's my translation from french message)

it was not systematic, and because it's not my main job, i was waiting, hoping this issue'll be solved in a next release

but now, usins OO2.3 and Zotero 1.03, the problem is systematic.

the error run the script in debug mode with the following code line highligthed..

nTagStart(nTagIndex) = len(sResultText)

i'm afraid it could be a length limitation somewhere ? is there any in code, regarding the number of citations ?

i've read some discussion about peformance with large document, but it's not a performance isssue. When stopping, there are still RAM and CPU available on my notebook (DELL630, 2Go)

due to the amount of personnal work on that document, i will thanks greatly for any help...

pam
  • new tests on that case.

splitting the document in two part, there is no more pb...
    in each doc, adding citation and refresh biblio is OK..

but in the whole document, every zotero action run in error.

this is not related to a specific citation. When stopping, the zotero script run in debug on a particular citation. I have tried to delete this citation, but then, the script bugs again on another one.

it seems that the script run really in an overflow of a string variable: sResultText ?

thanks in advance for any help...

it'd be a pitty to manage manually the citation in a large document after beeing such excited using zotero !

pam
  • a new test..

i've tried to understand the use of function subParseRTF to see why it could be too long.

I added a debug to see the content of the variable stext, and the result was surprising.

Even with a text without bibliography, stext contains the whole formated bibliography (in my case 225 citations), and the do loop is run quite for every text line of the bibliography

is that normal, only to add a new citation.. ?

pam
  • pamillet, I did not understand you. did you solve the issue? could you explain in detail what you did to fix the problem please?

I have an overflow problem in OO2.4 and OO3 in Ubuntu 8.04.
  • I have exactly the same problem as your: for me, the problem begins from the 183rd citation.
    I'm now writing my PhD thesis with openoffice 3.1.0, using Zotero 1.0.10.
    I really need help because my thesis must be written for the beginning of September and without Zotero (where I have inserted all my bibliography since the beginning of my thesis) I don't know how to finish it.

By advance, thank you for your help.
  • @corgeon
    I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I'm using linux however if you aren't.
    Thesis due begining of sept. ect.
    Any luck?? I am going to have to resort to editing the last 50 or so references BY HAND, which will make editing the manuscript a nightmare.
    For me zotero inserts the correct citations, but the last 50 or so references do not appear in the bibliography. I'm considering trying upgrading to the beta zotero but scared about loosing data.
    HELP. Please.
  • I'm considering trying upgrading to the beta zotero but scared about loosing data.
    I have no idea if the new version would solve this, but it should be easy to mitigate against data loss: Make a backup of your zotero data directory & of your documents & try them out in a different firefox profile before you upgrade.
  • Hey thanks for the quick help. I didn't know that you could have different firefox addons in different profiles.
    I'll let you know if it works.
  • There's a potential problem with that solution. I also have to install the open office part of zotero in order for the beta to work. Do you think uninstalling the old plugin, installing the beta, then potentially reinstalling the old plugin will be OK?
    BTW using a different profile worked very well for the firefox part of zotero, thanks.
  • yes, will be OK - Ooo extensions are very easy to remove completely and install.
  • update.
    Tried out updating zotero and the open office plugin on my other linux machine for a test run. Turns out the entire document has to be updated including all citations. So I would have to go though them all one by one and still perhaps run across the same problem. Not worth it for me.
    I am planning on writing another large document using zotero in the near future. Here's hoping the problem is fixed in 2.0.
    Thanks everyone for a supportive and helpful forum.