Zotero icon missing

Apologies if the answer's there but all the earlier discussions seemed too old and did not provide solutions.

I've upgraded to Zotero 3 still integrated with Firefox (10.0). On one machine (installed under Firefox 9.x but now FF10.0) I can see the Zotero icon at the bottom right; on the other (installed under FF10.0) it's not there. (The add-on bar is visible; Zotero 3 is installed as it will run with Ctrl-Alt-Z. I have cleared the cache, restarted, removed and then reinstalled Z3 both by download and copying and dragging the file onto Firefox). Both machines are Win XP.
  • You can configure how/if the Zotero icon appears in the add-on bar in your Zotero preferences (Gear menu -> Preferences -> General)

You can also add a Zotero button to your toolbar by customizing that in the usual way in Firefox.
  • If it's set to show the icon, disabling your other Firefox extensions might help.
  • Thanks. Never thought to look in the gear icon settings as it's displayed the icon automatically in all previous installations!
  • That shouldn't have changed on its own—we've never seen that before.
  • I'm feeling I have missed something really simple, but here goes.....

Installed Firefox 10
    Installed Zotero 3 for Firefox
    Installed Zotero standalone.

Updated Zotero Standaloone preferences to point to my Zotero storage (somehow, it thought I wanted to use iDisk, which I gave up using months ago..)

- Running Zotero standalone
    - Restarted and now running Firefox
    - Zotero shows bottom right corner of Firefox
    - Customised FF toolbar to show little Z top-left of FF window.

BUT... how do I save an ordinary web page into Zotero database from Firefox?

I click on the little Z .. all that seems to do is bring up the standalone Zotero

I looked up a book on Amazon.com. and get a friendly message from Zotero letting me know I can save the book details - which I do, and it works....

BUT... (again) how do I save an ordinary web page into Zotero database from Firefox? ... I expect a little icon in the right hand side of the URL space .. but nothing there.
  • sites without translators - i.e ordinary webpages - don't get a URL bar icon. With Standalone (no matter whether you're on Chrome, Safari, or Firefox) right-click somewhere into the page you want to save and select "Save Zotero Snapshot" (Chrome/Safari) or Zotero-->Create New Item from Current Page (FF).
  • Oh thanks! That works.

Of course I knew that. Of course it was an "Oh Duh" monment! I was right clicking all over the place .. except on the article itself!.

Thanks again for yr prompt response.