Alert on Zotero Startup

Hello,
The following message pops up every time I start up the program. After clicking "ok" the program opens up and has worked without a hitch, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else gets this message on a regular basis
-
Your Zotero Standalone installation appears to be corrupted due to a failed auto-update. While Zotero may continue to function, to avoid potential bugs, please download the latest version of Zotero Standalone from http://zotero.org/support/standalone as soon as possible.
-
I'm running Zotero standalone version 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

Again, Zotero's operating perfectly fine other than that alert message prompt that shows up every time I open the program.

Anyone else run into this, and is this a minor inconvenience or should I be concerned?

I sent in an error report and was given report id: 580304250

I don't know if that will relate the problem, but the note said I should include it with any post on the forum.
  • That's an error message from an early alpha version of Standalone. You just need to do exactly what it says: redownload Zotero Standalone from zotero.org, replacing your existing version.

Of course, if you just downloaded 3.0 and haven't in fact been getting this for many months, we would want to know that.
  • Hello, I am getting the same message, running 3.0.7 on Mac OS 10.7.3. I did what it said and still get the error message. Also, Zotero has been running verrry slowly. It seems a bit better today, but it still takes several seconds to perform a search (sometimes it's been 30-40 secs) or to add a reference. I just added a record, which went fairly quickly, but then I added 3 tags, which took 12, 15, and 18 secs., respectively, to "take."

My Zotero db is large but not enormous--about 7000-8000 refs, with about 1400 attached pdfs taking up about 2 GB. I am not yet syncing with the Zotero server (hope to, once I get the bugs worked out).

Are the error message and slow performance connected? Any suggestions about either of them?

Thanks,
    Nathaniel
  • Hello, I am getting the same message, running 3.0.7 on Mac OS 10.7.3. I did what it said and still get the error message.
    The message about a failed auto-update? I don't think that's possible if you actually deleted the old copy of the Zotero application.
  • Huh. Redownloaded and reinstalled and the message went away. Perhaps I got distracted the first time and didn't do something right. Okay, thanks--and thanks for the speedy response.

While I have you: any tips on speed? Are there known issues when the db gets large? I've noticed some dupes in the db, which I need to clean up, but still, it's going to be this size again and larger before long.
  • Best to post separate questions to separate threads.