standalone or FF migration issues

If one has Z3 FF running and wants to install Z3 standalone in parallel, when one starts standalone one is asked about migration, which might scare someone about whether the migration will impact the FF install in any way. There is no immediate explanation available, and a quick search in the forums did not present any advice. I am assuming that this is covered somewhere, and I am guessing that the dialog simply allows the setting of the preference pane, which can be changed later, but I think it wold be very helpful if this could be made immediately apparent to the person doing the install, especially as any attempt to just exit the dialog seems to result in the standalone product immediately trying to install plugins to work processors, which is bound to frighten users (it frightened me, lol.)
  • Well, here's the message:
    This appears to be your first time using Zotero Standalone. Would you like Zotero Standalone to import settings from Zotero for Firefox and use your existing data directory?

Zotero Standalone will share its data directory with the most recently used profile.
    What did you want it to say, exactly?

I think the window title—"Zotero Migration Notification"—is a bit misleading, since it's not migrating library data, but otherwise I think that's fairly clear.

The data directory situation between Standalone and Zotero for Firefox isn't great in general, since it depends on which you installed first, but given the existing install base we don't have great options here.
  • a few things:
    1) Yes, if its not migrating the data library, then it should ask whether you wish to use your existing data library on your computer, and/or use your existing Zotero account (and arguably it should link to an explanation of of what this means....)
    2) It should advise whether any of the choices are irreversible.
    3) It should advise as to whether this would in any way impact your existing stores (and if th e stand-alone and FF versions are at different versions, what that might mean.
    4) It should allow you to escape without making a choice
    5) The standalone, if you simply close this windows without making a choice, makes a choice for you and then apparently launches into a plugin install for word processors; this is BAD! a) it is scary, b) it is possible it could corrupt the existing install, c) it should not do anything like this without warning and without advising you of what it is doing

As to your ending comment, I think the basis for it needs to be put very much up front so that everyone understands what it means. I think most users of Z2.1w/FF will upgrade to Z3FF and then think about exploring the standalone application.... and most will be very sore if their existing set-up is compromised simply because they wanted to explore what all the uproar is about standalone ;-)

I know moving to a new version of any app can be problematic, and the Z3w/FF upgrade was relatively painless (though the new cite inserter and the issues with classic view will give thousands heartburn I think) - but the install of the standalone put my heart in my throat for a second - lol
  • Well - it's really not possible to shoot your local/FF copy of Zotero by installing standalone - so any message also shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is by suggesting to users that you really need to think hard and be super careful.
    Users can, in fact, just try standalone - and see if they like it and keep it or un-installing if they don't.

I agree with you on 5, though - Zotero should ask before installing the Word processor plugin.
  • edited January 31, 2012
    Yes, if its not migrating the data library, then it should ask whether you wish to use your existing data library on your computer, and/or use your existing Zotero account
    That's exactly what it does.
    I think most users of Z2.1w/FF will upgrade to Z3FF and then think about exploring the standalone application.... and most will be very sore if their existing set-up is compromised simply because they wanted to explore what all the uproar is about standalone
    But it doesn't "compromise" anything, whichever choice you select, so what's the concern? All it does is ask whether to share your existing data directory with Zotero for Firefox—obviously it's not going to delete your data. Sure, there could be a way to quit without selecting anything, but the consequences are pretty trivial either way.

I agree it should ask before installing the word processor plugins, though.

Edit: What adamsmith said.
  • lol, I guess what I am saying is that is most disconcerting (except for #5) is not what it is doing, but the fact that it obscures what will happen..... If the install told the user, that the choices, for example, were use an existing data store without compromising use of that store by the other version, copy another datastore to a new location without impacting the other datastore, etc. then there would be no real concern because the person doing the install would understand the choices presented. Why would a conservative user install something assuming it will be OK?
  • To me, the word "share" pretty clearly conveys what it's doing and that it's harmless.

The only vague thing, I think, is what the "No" option means—it doesn't really say that the alternative is storing the data directory within its own profile.

In any case, I don't think this is worth worrying too much about. The default is the right option for most people, and that dialog doesn't give any reason to think that it would be harmful.
  • I agree with Netbuoys suggestions (also 1 to 4). They would simply make it clearer what this step is about...

If you spent three years working on your PhD, you would get pretty hesitant even at the slightest chance of your bibliographic sources being compromised in any way by installing the standalone version, too.

Not all of us are open-source developers that have this exact understanding of what the terms used now exactly imply ;-)