Accessing the Zotero cloud: What standards are used?

Hello-

I've just decided to go all in with Zotero's new cloud storage option as the primary backup for my citation database.

Now I'd like to understand how I can access my data in the Zotero cloud through other devices (my ipad). In the past I've used dropbox to store my Zotero database and then linked my ipad (through GoodReader) to my dropbox account giving me full access to my Zotero PDF's for mobile reading and annotating. What I need to know now is which, if any, of the following standards can I use to access my Zotero data directly on the Zotero servers:

"GoodReader can automatically sync individual files and entire folders to their remote versions hosted on online servers of the following types: MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync and also any WebDAV, AFP, FTP or SFTP server."

So, will it be possible to plug directly into Zotero's servers for my data, or will I need to find another creative work around?

Thanks,
Ben
  • edited January 31, 2012
    Dan would have to answer on the specifics, but I don't think you can access Zotero storage using standard protocols, no. That said:
    have a look at zotpad
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zotpad/id497260579?ls=1&mt=8
    (developed by a third party developer - great friend of Zotero, but not affiliated in any way).

edit: looks like Dan agrees. You could also take a look at Zotfile reader as an alternative way to get data to your ipad.
  • Thanks guys-

So, if I have this figured out, as of today you can now see your whole Zotero library in ZotePad. That is fantastic. I'll buy that a little later. While it appears you can then open PDFs in iPad programs that enable you to annotate them (GoodReader etc), those annotations can not be synced back to Zotero.

The reason things can't be synced is that the developers don't allow third parties (developers of apps or users of Zotero) to have write access to data on their servers. You can only do that through primary versions of Zotero (zotero.org or locally stored databases in Firefox or the stand alone version). This leaves us with one of the above mentioned work arounds (dropbox etc) as the only current solution.

If I've got that right I hope there is a safe and not too complex way to implement two way syncing to other devices or through web standards sometime in the near future.

Thanks for all the hard work. I absolutely love what you guys are doing.

Ben
  • The reason things can't be synced is that the developers don't allow third parties (developers of apps or users of Zotero) to have write access to data on their servers.
    Not quite. There's a write API that third-party clients can use to edit data. Attachment uploading just hasn't been implemented yet.
  • Got it. Keep up the great work. It's all very exciting, and we appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    Ben