"This application has failed to start..." error on Windows XP

I tried to install zotero 3 (new final version: 9.0.0.4367 (??)) in a Clean XPSP2 environment. I tried to run it, but it gives a message error that in english translates (more or less) as follows:
Impossible to start the application. The configuration of the application is not correct. A new installation could solve the problem.

But it does not.
What are the System Requirements necessary for the standalone version. Do one needs FF installed? The 3 Beta version that I tried was ok, in the same environment. Thanks for any feedback.
I just hope that Zotero Standalone does not require now MS Net.Framework addition, which is a mammut nightmare for medium range pcs.
  • I can't tell you want the problem is but no, you don't need Firefox and no, you don't need MS Net.Framework.
  • edited January 31, 2012
    It needs MS Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (no 2008 or 2010):

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14431

In most cases it is already installed by other applications (probably for instance by MS Office), but in a clean WinXP SP2 (and possibly SP3) it is not.
  • That should work. You can also copy the files msvcr80.dll and Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest from C:\Program Files\Zotero Standalone\xulrunner to C:\Program Files\Zotero Standalone. I've filed a bug with Mozilla and we'll fix this in the next release.
  • This is fixed in Zotero Standalone 3.0.1, available now.
This discussion has been closed.