QuickFormat issues, Ubuntu netbook (3.0 beta) -- Debug ID is D517911286

I'm still seeing some strange behavior from quickFormat on an Ubuntu netbook. It's hard to describe with precision, because the symptoms are a little erratic. When I begin typing in the form, a rumor of a line (more of a artifact than a line) appears across the top of where the cite listing should appear, below the popup. No listing appears, but if I type a few characters and hit "Enter", I get a citation. If I type in the form again, I get (most of the time) a listing, but without focus, and I can't seem to get focus with either the keyboard or the mouse.

Sometimes it does work, and sometimes it works, but the response time in scrolling the listing is tremendously slow, with the CPU running at full bore.

Might it be the graphics card on this system? It's supported by a reverse-engineered driver that is not thought to be mature (according to its developers) and might well have quirks.

In any case, I've submitted a Debug ID, in case it might help:

Debug ID is D517911286

Frank
  • This looks like an issue with drawing the UI. What version of Ubuntu are you using, and with what window manager and desktop environment? I can try to reproduce with those settings.
  • The machine is Ubuntu 11.04, with gnome and metacity -- not the new UI. Compiz is installed, but I think I have effects turned off. If that's not enough information, let me know; my study of the window manager setup always stops when it starts working, and my knowledge is pretty spotty.
  • I was able to reproduce the "white line" artifact, and I think I fixed that on the 3.0 branch. I also made focus more reliable, although I wasn't able to reproduce the specific focus issue you note above, and I didn't see the slow scrolling. When you have a chance, try the new code and let me know what it fixes and what it doesn't.
  • This looks good. I've applied the patches to MLZ (where the symptoms were the same as under 3.0), and it seems very happy. No sign of the lag and instability seen before. Terrific UI, this will be a pleasure to use.