Is there any automatic renaming?

2»
  • And also I would like to add full creator now we can add just creator's surname.
    Thanks
  • I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Could you describe what you want in more detail?
  • Hi,
    I would like to add than:
    * edition name of the references to the PDF file
    * full creator name to the PDF file (now we can just add creator's surname)
  • Zotero by default will rename PDFs using the format:
    Author (surname) - Year - Title

You can create detailed customized formats for renaming PDFs with the Zotfile plugin (http://zotfile.com). This plugin is widely used by Zotero users and is well-supported.
  • Hi,
    Thank you
    In zotfile there is no edition display..
  • Open the about:config window in Zotero (in the Options menu on the Advanced tab)

Search for:
    zotfile.wildcards.user

Enter this value:
    { "1": "edition"}

You will then be able to get edition using this wildcard
    %1
  • Hi,
    I added this value: { "1": "edition"} to zotfile.wildcards.user
    Then I wrote this value: {%t{100}} {%1.}{-%I}{%F-} to extensions.zotero.attachmentRenameFormatString
    Then I clicked "Rnema File from parent metadata
    But I get this name: Çözümlü Teknik Termodinamik Problemler {%1.}{-%I}{%F-}.pdf
  • You need to use Zotfile's renaming function by choosing Manage Attachment -> Rename Attachments in the context menu.

With the format you describe, I get
    Imperfect competition in the labor market100 2.-MAAlanM-.pdf

with the title "Imperfect competition in the labor market", author "Alan, Manning", and edition "2".

(I don't think you want the {100} there. You should drop that from your string. I'm also not sure you want that exact punctuation or both the author's intials and sur name with initials there. Can you give a real example of the format you want?)
  • Hi,
    I would like to do:
    "Title of Publication" "(Edition)" - "Creator First Name and Surname"
    Example:
    Heat Analysis and Thermodynamic Effects (1 ed)-Amimul Ahsan.pdf
    I put there {100} for limit of maximum character of title. Because if it is too long, there can be some error because of it.
    Thanks
  • No, you'd want to use ZotFile's renaming, not Zotero's own. That's all in the ZotFile preferences. Check the documentation on zotfile.com
  • I use zotfile but it did not work as weel
  • edited January 16, 2017
    Zotfile is widely used and generally works very well for people. For us to help you further, we will need you to be much more detailed describing exactly what is going wrong, exactly what behaviors and steps you are taking, and what the desired outcome is. It is hard to help with only statements like "it did not work as well".
  • Hi,
    I would like to that in ZotFile:
    "Title of Publication" "(Edition)" - "Creator First Name and Surname"
    Example:
    Heat Analysis and Thermodynamic Effects (1 ed)-Amimul Ahsan.pdf
    How can I do that?
  • edited January 17, 2017
    Add this to zotfile.wildcards.user: { "1": "edition"}

Then, open the Zotfile preferences window (in the Gear menu in Zotero) and enter this under the renaming rules (you don't do this in the hidden preferences):
    {%t}{ (%1 ed)}{ - %F}

In the settings below the text box, be sure to check to the option to truncate after punctuation and set the maximum title length. You can also set the number of authors you want displayed.

This will format the filename like this:
    Heat Analysis and Thermodynamic Effects (1 ed) - AhsanA.pdf

The code for creator names is much more complex than for other fields, and printing the full author name requires an addition to the Zotfile code itself, not just a user-defined wildcard. Until now, no one has ever requested full author names be available. I can add the code, but Zotfile is in the middle of major changes to be compatible with the upcoming Zotero 5.0, so I will wait until that update is complete.
  • Hi,
    Thank you very much.
    That woked.