I don't believe this - lost everything!

I uninstalled firefox because I was having problems with it.
But my Zotero folder/database was removed from the 'my documents' directory. WHY?????

I thought I could uninstall firefox, reinstall, then add the Zotero plugin again and point it to the existing database. I've just lost hundreds of hours of research and documents.

Help me to understand why a folder in the 'my document' directory has ANYTHING to do with uninstalling firefox???? It's a no brainer that Firefox shouldn't be allowed to TOUCH my Zotero files; I didn't even think twice about it before uninstalling Firefox.

This is insane.
  • edited January 30, 2012
    Help me to understand why a folder in the 'my document' directory has ANYTHING to do with uninstalling firefox????
    It doesn't.

But Zotero doesn't store anything in My Documents by default. Were you using a custom data directory? Are you sure you're looking in the right place?

http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

By default Zotero data is stored in the Firefox profile directory. If your Zotero data directory was at its default location there and you selected the uninstallation option to remove your user data, it would delete your data directory. If you were using a custom data directory or you didn't select that option, it wouldn't.
  • > Were you using a custom data directory?

Yes.

> Are you sure you're looking in the right place?

This is very weird. I am absolutely 100% sure my Zotero directory wasn't listed in Windows after uninstalling Firefox. However, it has suddenly reappeared just now, exactly where I expected it to be!

I've reinstalled Zotero and everything's fine! Phew! No drama!

Actually, I had also forgotten that I'd set-up a back-up task for it a couple of years ago, so I had a copy on an external hard drive anyway. Shocked myself for no reason!

Thanks.