can't copy zotero folder

I experienced "can't copy" errors when copying my zotero folder from a Mac to a Windows XP system, and I believe the problem is path length. Most of the citations and attachments were created on the Mac, which I believe doesn't have the length restriction of XP, or a less-stringest restriction. This is a feature request, rather than troubleshooting discussion, because I solved my problem by finding the longest files and renaming or removing them. (Many of these were part of snapshots, with file names ending in "@22".)

The feature request: It would be nice to be able to set a limit to the length of files, either "auto-created" (e.g. snapshots) or user-created. It can't be a one-size-fits-all length, of course, since the length of the entire path is the issue, at least with Windows. So it seems that a limit that the user can specify would be ideal.
  • edited January 27, 2012
    We have an issue for this.
  • I have a file called but fortunately it did not stop the backup (it was skipped)
    aaaabplan3a4nn2isklmmkshhdbycvgiyiro4ao1hqyi2cds1r0yaeznbjubwnpccwm4kbbro99sttr6jgygfcjdlsgwflqgfv01iugezukzdwcmc2votjmxdaefkpooj5i+evmmi40rieqmhxsgxtt7reikhbwhpjv3xeitunq7qns7wtdspbzzpi1kzc9hqji2xvht1hclpjdtxueaow==