File associations lost after upgrade to 3.0b3.2

I upgraded both of my computers to 3.0b3.2 and both now suffer from a new issue... The file associations stopped working for both systems, one running KDE, the other running Gnome.

I now get the Launch Application dialogue for pdf, html, folders, etc.

When it happened on the one computer I figured it was just something with that particular installation, but two computer running different UIs? Seems like a potential bug.

I logged the error and submitted it to the server with debug id D1184086638


Zotero Standalone 3.0b3.2
Zotero Connector for Chrome 2.999.3
  • edited January 19, 2012
    We changed the way file opening works on Linux in 3.0b3 to fix another issue.

    What you're seeing now is expected behavior (at least until we find a workaround for broken OS-based file launching in Standalone on Linux). Just select the program you want to use and have it remember your selection.
  • edited January 19, 2012
    Unfortunately this work around does not work. It thinks that *all* external links are "files".

    I select a pdf and it says to select an application, and I navigate to okular. The remember checkbox says "Remember my choice for file links." If I select to remember it opens with Okular.

    If I now go to "Show File," okular opens with a "Could Not Open [path to parent directory]"

    Realizing that this was a problem I deleted the mimeTypes.rdf and tried again. I now see that the checkbox says "Remember my choice for file links" regardless if I'm opening a pdf, folder or html snapshot - it thinks they are just "files."

    The only work around seems to be to not have it remember and just select from the list everytime. Kind of a hassle.

    mimeTypes.rdf when I tell it to remember the file type. With these settings it tries to open folders and htmls with okular:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <RDF:RDF xmlns:NC="";
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:file"
    <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:file"/>
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:root"
    NC:en-US_defaultHandlersVersion="-1" />
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:http"
    NC:alwaysAsk="false" />
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:file"
    <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:scheme:externalApplication:file"/>
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:https"
    NC:alwaysAsk="false" />
    <RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:schemes:root">
    <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:http"/>
    <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:https"/>
    <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:file"/>
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:externalApplication:file"
    NC:path="/usr/bin/okular" />
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:http"
    <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:http"/>
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:schemes">
    <NC:Protocol-Schemes RDF:resource="urn:schemes:root"/>
    <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:https"
    <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:https"/>
  • Another note, it no longer responds to clicking on links at all. For items with links to a page attached, double clicking on the link gives no response at all.
Sign In or Register to comment.