Error report 829573780

I attached a PDF to an item in my library, and it seemed to have illegal characters. The error was reported during sync with the Zotero server, so I renamed the file every way possible - actually only two: via the Zotero GUI, and via the OS. I also deleted the item attachment and relinked it, but I still get the error.
Firefox 9.0.1
Zotero plug-in version 2.1.10
  • If you're still getting the error, you probably didn't manage to rename it properly—the error includes the filename, and it still looks like it has invalid characters. If that's not the current filename, be sure you've emptied your trash in case you somehow have a duplicate version of the file in your trash. Otherwise, just erase the entire filename and give it a very basic name to start, and then relink it in Zotero.

(Using "Rename File from Parent Metadata" in the attachment context menu should also strip invalid characters automatically, though I don't remember if 2.1.10 does that properly.)
  • Weirdly, I've removed the item from my library, and I still get the error message. It's not in my online library; I suppose it's failed to even sync the citation.
    I've checked the 'trash', nothing there. Is there perhaps a config file I can delete?
  • If you're still getting the error, the file exists somewhere. Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error?
  • The Debug ID is D1613389673
  • Best as I can tell, the file exists locally. You're going to need to find it.

Did you try just searching through the 'storage' directory within your Zotero data directory?
  • Thanks for the help Dan.
    I've still got two local copies within the Zotero data dir. One of them had an illegal character, so I renamed it, restarted Firefox, synced again, and got the error again.
    I then went through my (home) filesystem (find ~/ -name Kukkonen* -print) and zipped or deleted any version I could find of that file. This is where I found one of them:

~/.local/share/data/Mendeley Ltd./Mendeley Desktop/Downloaded/2UC3EKU9/Kukkonen and Clauser - 1994 - Simulation of heat transfer at the Kola deephole .pdf

I then removed the item (citation) from Zotero by selecting the option on right-click 'Delete selected item from library'.
    Restarted Firefox and synced again, still get the error.
    Here's a new debug ID: The Debug ID is D502624393.

Ben.
  • so I renamed it, restarted Firefox, synced again, and got the error again
    Did you relink it in Zotero?
    I then removed the item (citation) from Zotero by selecting the option on right-click 'Delete selected item from library'.
    Did you empty your trash?

You're still getting the exact same error.
  • (a) No I didn't relink it yet, as I deleted the item from Zotero, there's nothing to link it to. Are you suggesting that I should? How would that matter now there's no longer an item?

(b) Yes, emptied the rubbish bin.

(c) Perhaps the database thinks there is still an item somewhere? How can I find out where it thinks it is?
  • Yes, emptied the rubbish bin.
    You emptied the trash in Zotero after deleting the item?
  • Didn't know there was one!

Right, that's solved it. Thanks for your patience Dan.
  • Thank you so much for that hint!
    I just spent hours trying to find the file causing the error after deleting it (presumably) everywhere.

I just did not see that trash icon in Zotero....