gmail with zotero

Hi, I suppose others must have noticed this before. Zotero doesn't produce a usable snapshot for gmail. I'm supposing this has to do with the extremely ajaxian nature of gmail. Of course as more sites become more ajax like I guess this will not improve. Any plans in the works to deal with these kinds of problems, what does the future look like where this is concerned?
  • Really I'd say it's up to the content provider to offer a static version of content that can be saved and/or printed.*

In the case of Gmail, one can always switch to the HTML view, for which the snapshot tool works fine. More appropriate might be the Print view (for individual messages or entire conversations), though the saved page includes a Print() call in the onload handler, which gets annoying. I'd be hesitant to remove onload handlers automatically when saving snapshots, but stripping Print() calls in onload would probably be reasonable.

It should also be possible to write a translator for Gmail that would automatically save the active message or conversation, pulling down the print version and removing the onload handler.

* Some people have suggested screenshots, but while those may have a certain utility, they're really not a great research/archival solution. Screenshots also can't be implemented in JavaScript, so while someone could write a Java-based Zotero utility with screenshot capability, we most likely wouldn't add such a feature to the main extension.