Forcing a New Line in a Bibliography

I'm a CSL newbie, feeling quite dumb after an afternoon of attempting something that seems simple. I want to produce a bibliography that includes abstracts. I was able to do that by adapting the Chicago style adding:
<text variable="abstract"/>
at the end of the bibliography section.
What I've not figured out how to do is to force this to start on a new line. It's undoubtedly simple, but I couldn't find anything in the Language spec or the examples I looked at.
  • edited January 14, 2012
    <text variable="abstract" display="block"/>
  • Actually, I'd tried that it didn't work. Here's the code:

<layout suffix=".">
    <group suffix=".">
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <text macro="contributors"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    <text macro="description"/>
    <text macro="secondary-contributors"/>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="container-title"/>
    <text macro="container-contributors"/>
    <text macro="locators-chapter"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <text macro="collection-title" prefix=". "/>
    <text macro="issue"/>
    <text macro="locators-newspaper" prefix=", "/>
    <text macro="locators-journal"/>
    <text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
    </group>
    </layout>

it produces
    Doctorow, Cory. “Lockdown: The coming war on general-purpose computing - Boing Boing”, n.d. http://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html.The shape of the copyright wars clues us into an upcoming fight over the destiny of the general-purpose computer itself.....We haven’t lost yet, but we have to win the copyright war first if we want to keep the Internet and the PC free and open. Freedom in the future will require us to have the capacity to monitor our devices and set meaningful policies for them; to examine and terminate the software processes that runs on them; and to maintain them as honest servants to our will, not as traitors and spies working for criminals, thugs, and control freaks.

There ought to be a new line between lockdown.html. and "The shape.." but there isn't.
  • where does it produce that? How are you creating the bibliography?
    The display elements may not always work when you copy to clipboard.
  • I'm creating the bibliography by selecting a group of records, right-clicking and choosing "Create Bibliography from Selected Items". The format I chose was an RTF file.

I've tried creating the bibliography from both the FireFox (v 9.0.1) add-in and from the Standalone with the same result. I'm using 3.0b3 of Zotero.
  • I just tried it by copying to the clipboard and pasting into a word document. It now does have a newline - ah, progress.

Now the first line is left-aligned instead of indented. Is there an easy command to have it indented like the rest of the the element.

ie.in the following "The Shape of..." is at the left margin instead of indented to align with text above

Coyne, Roseman, and Radford. Knowledge Based Design Systems. Addison Wesley, n.d.
    Doctorow, Cory. “Lockdown: The coming war on general-purpose computing - Boing Boing”, n.d. http://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html.
    The shape of the copyright wars clues us into an upcoming fight over the destiny of the general-purpose computer itself. .... We haven’t lost yet, but we have to win the copyright war
  • It works properly with "printing" and HTML as well, though in each case it has the first line of the abstract at the left margin rather than indented as I'd like.
  • I tried moving the "abstract" code inside the "group" so that the code looks

<text macro="access" prefix=". "/>
    </group>
    </layout>

As with the RTF export there is no line break before the abstract in this format - I tried in HTML and clipboard modes for this one.