places.sqlite size > corporate workstation allows; can it be relocated, compacted, or..?

I work on a corporate workstation running Windows XP version 2002 SP3. It is configured to complain when my "profile (i.e. desktop) storage space" exceeds the allowed 30000kb.

The largest file in the list of files it considers as being stored in the profile storage space is C:\Documents and Settings\sara.bennett\Application Data\Zotero\zotero\Profiles\bzyyhp89.default\places.sqlite at 10,240kb.

For the first six months I worked here, I used Zotero without getting the space-exceeded message, so either places.sqlite is growing or I have installed enough other software that takes a chunk out of my profile space that cumulatively the space limit is exceeded.

I don't use Firefox, so (after some reading up) I deleted the places.sqlite file. At first, this seemed to have solved the problem - I restarted and quit Zotero, several times, entered new citations, etc. and all was well. But then, after a couple of hours, the file reappeared, at the same size; it wasn't obvious to me what action triggered this.

I then thought I would have a look at the file with one of the freeware SQlite browsers (I forget which one), and possibly compact it, but the browser said the file either wasn't of the correct filetype or was encrypted.

I called the corporate IT folks, and their solution was to politely take control of my workstation and delete my Zotero profile files; thanks, guys. So I shooed them away and reconstructed my profile and am back in business, but still with the too-large pesky file.

This is all a bit ironic (if that's the word): I chose to use Zotero Standalone as my citation manager at work because it doesn't require "any" installation (which corporate IT prohibits - we can only use software on the approved list - sigh.)

Help?

Thanks

Sara B.
  • It's not growing—10,240KB is 10MB exactly. The Mozilla framework that Zotero uses creates the Places database automatically at that size. It might be possible for us to reduce its size, but this is far from a priority. 30MB is a ridiculously small allowance in 2012. Add a bunch of PDFs into Zotero and you'll easily go over 30MB even without places.sqlite. Ask your IT department to give you more space.

You can delete places.sqlite safely as often as you want, but it'll be recreated. You could try creating an empty SQLite database named places.sqlite in its place, but it's possible it would be recreated or doing so would cause an error in Zotero. You're on your own for that, in any case.
  • Yes to all that, and now I am talking to someone higher on the food chain who *can* increase my profile space.

My only remaining question/comment is, now of a purely academic nature, is, I have my PDFs (many many) stored in a "custom Data Directory", not the default location (which is "Firefox profile directory" I gather).

So, the PDF storage location can be customized, but the storage location of places.sqlite and friends cannot. That's funny. (But not exactly life threatening.)

I also read (somewhere... whilst googling about) that places.sqlite is used by Firefox and no-one else. If that were true (and presumably it isn't) then places.sqlite is being created to no purpose in my case since I don't use/have Firefox.
  • As Dan says, Zotero Standalone is based on a Firefox (Mozilla) framework. That's where the places.sqlite comes from.

You can probably change the location of the Zotero code, including places.sqlite, during install, but, as for most software, not once it's installed.
  • I also read (somewhere... whilst googling about) that places.sqlite is used by Firefox and no-one else. If that were true (and presumably it isn't) then places.sqlite is being created to no purpose in my case since I don't use/have Firefox.
    It's tied up with various functionality the Mozilla framework provides. Note that, e.g., Thunderbird (another Mozilla product) also creates a 10MB places.sqlite.
    You can probably change the location of the Zotero code, including places.sqlite, during install, but, as for most software, not once it's installed.
    The profile location is actually separate from the program code, which is what you set the location for during installation. (Same in Firefox.) There might be a way to change the profile location, but I don't know how off-hand.
  • Hi,
    I have the same problem than Sara.
    I was hoping to be able to use Zotero-Standalone and Word citation in my really control computer setting (and asking IT department to change something is not a viable solution to me).

@Sara : I run Zotero with firefox portable (which I can install on C: drive (as far you can use some drive space for your files) and bypass the profile limite.

But since years, I was unable to use Word citation with this setting. The bar is installed either in Word or OOo but never be able to get connexion with FF or Z-standalone.
    If someone have a workaround, I will be very happy to learn it.
    Thanks
    Mel