HTML formatting shows up in notes in generated repors

When I generate a report, the notes I've entered are covered in the HTML formatting, as below:

Notes:

<div style="background-color: transparent;"><span id="internal-source-marker_0.21250299061648548" style="font-size: 15px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Synopsis:  This short book focuses on Raphael’s Portrait of Julius II, considering it as a culturally situated artifact (a new approach then), and as an interplay of precedent and invention.  It was displayed on the altar of Sta Maria del Popolo in 1513 after his death.</span></div>

I tend to write up my notes in a Google Doc and then paste them in, rather than entering directly. Is that the problem? Is there any way I can fix this without manually re-doing each note?
  • I am also having this problem. After re-formatting each individual note to include a paragraph space before and after the note, they came out fine with some adjustments. However, the next time I used zotero, the changes were gone and the notes once again showed up in the report in html and without the formatting.
  • edited February 8, 2012
    I just tested and found that if I copy anything from the screen view of a Google Docs document and paste it to ANY text editor; the html tags (that aren't displayed on the Google document) are included. I rarely use Google docs so I can't be sure that there isn't a setting in GDocs that affects what is cut and pasted.

If you must use GDocs for text entry, You could use a text editor in an intermediate step and use the editor to automatically strip all html tags before pasting each note into Zotero -- then there will not be any formatting other than CR/LF. That said, you could save the "intermediate step" by directle entering the note into a text editor. Is there a reason you don't want to enter directly into Zotero?
  • I just tested and found that if I copy anything from the screen view of a Google Docs document and paste it to ANY text editor; the html tags [...] are included.
    DWL-SDCA: That's not the issue here. All notes in Zotero are HTML already, and copied HTML output (not HTML code) should be properly handled. Their concern is that report view isn't interpreting these particular notes as HTML when it displays them.

We can probably fix this. Google Docs wraps content in divs, and Zotero tests for the <p> elements it uses itself. (Reports test whether notes are HTML because there are (or at least used to be) some ways for plain text to make its way into Zotero notes, and if the reports treated such notes as HTML all newlines would be lost.)
  • I'm having a similar problem, off and on (?). I mostly use the Zotero text editor and occasionally use Word (and then copy/paste into the text editor). The text editor seems "buggy" at times (but bulleted lists themselves are always buggy, I think)!

Is there a fix to clean out the html from my Zotero report? I've tried adding paragraphs but it isn't working. I have quite a long note that I need to print. Thank you!
  • (I added the same report in http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23036/):

I also have the problem that ALL my notes show with HTML-tagging in reports - but only since some days. I checked, I was running 3.0.9 (now upgraded to 3.0.10, problem still there), which according to version history is supposed to have closed that bug. I have the problem since around the time 3.0.9 was released.

Also new notes, even added to newly created library items, have the problem as soon as I enter a new paragraph. This source code shows correctly:
    <p>Test</p>

this source code shows with tags:
    <p>Test</p>
    <p>testnote</p>

Thanks for looking into it!
This discussion has been closed.