Snapshot storage files with @22 extensions

Just wondering, each time I take a snapshot of a webpage, the storage folder ends up full of files with @22 extensions, sometimes over a hundred. I've been deleting them, and the snapshots look mostly the same - is this ok? Or am i deleting useful files?
  • that's OK - they're likely something the webpage does - if it looks OK after deleting they're almost certainly not useful.
  • Thanks! That's a relief - deleting them makes manually syncing a library to a portable drive much quicker - it can reduce a big library by thousands of files!
  • I see this behavior too - only for Nature journals. I think there is something wrong with the translator.

The files have names like "01.gif@22" and are all the same size. They aren't even .gif files - if you look inside, it's an html file of the nature.com homepage.

So, instead of saving .gif files for the snapshot, the translator is saving ~200 copies of the same web page at ~150KB a pop. Obviously this is not right, and it eats disk space.

Is this bug known?
  • Provide an example URL. (Nothing to do with the translator, though—it'd be an issue with the third-party snapshot saving code we use.)
  • I just reproduced the problem from my university computer.

URL (e.g.): http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v415/n6867/full/415039a.html
    Zotero: 2.1.10
    Firefox: 3.6.13
  • I reproduced it from my home computer.

URL: same
    Zotero: same
    Firefox: 5.0.1

Curious to hear if anyone else can see this.

1) navigate to the nature URL above
    2) save page to Zotero
    3) find item in library, click + to expand
    4) right click on Nature Snapshot and choose "show file"

See if there's a bunch of @22 files in that directory.
  • The snapshot code would work the same on all computers. No real mystery here—just some bug in how the snapshot code handles the site code. We'll look into it. Thanks.
  • (just as an aside - you're using Firefox versions that no longer receive critical security update - both of your computers have browsers that haven't been updated for 2years or so. Not just will you experience bugs - though as Dan says this one has nothing to do with the browser - you're also exposing yourself to exploits and known vulnerabilities.)
  • Fixed on the 3.0 branch.

You can likely delete any @22 files you find without any dire consequences (and we might want to clean them up automatically at some point). I believe they'd all be invalid.

If you're using syncing, after deleting the files you can resave the main HTML file (or, in OS X or Linux, use the touch command) such that the modification time changes, and Zotero will resync the pruned version.
  • Awesome, Dan.

I believe you have just set a bug-fix speed record. Well done.
  • I also have thousands of files like this (3620 to be exact). Mostly invalid graphic files like png@22, gif@22, jpg@22 or jpeg@22. Consuming 80 MB alltogether.

Because these are located in many different folders, manual touch is not very suitable.

Some sample content (vid-collapsed.png@22)
    404 Not Found
    ------------------------------------
    nginx/0.6.36

or (gvy8rtidnbk.gif@22)
    /*bcs*/

So automatic cleaning would be much better.

Besides, I just noticed, that there are also valid png and gif files among old snapshots. So I'm no longer sure, what I will miss after cleanup.

Example of a useful file (created by a zotero-snapshot in october 2010):

"key_visual8.jpg@22" is a true .jpg-file
    from URL http://www.paarkommunikation.pflugweb.de/2.html

If a create a snapshot with the present version of zotero (3.0.3), no image is displayed, when I show the snapshot by double-clicking it inside the library (URL:zotero://attachment/723/).

The images are stored though, and are being displayed correctly, if I open the stored page as a file. (URL:file:///C:/Zotero-Data/storage/WF2KGXZR/2.html)

In this case this is not a problem, but certainly, there is a bug in the snapshot code. I don't know about the bugs on the webpage itself, though.

Apart from this little bug, zotero works great.