"Kiosk" mode with locked data, preferences, and no import-export ability

I would like to make a Zotero database available on a public computer just for browsing and searching, in a sort of "kiosk" mode. I'm categorizing this as a feature request because I don't think it is currently possible, but if so, all the better.

Specifically I would like to prevent:

1. Data editing
2. Preference changes
3. Import-export ability

For data editing, I know it is possible to give a user read-only rights to a group library, which is useful. It would also be useful to prevent editing of a local library. Is that currently possible? Then I could plug in a USB drive with portable Firefox and have a local library that is read-only, with no need to sync the whole library from Zotero's servers.

Also, an interface suggestion: When a user browses a group library that is read-only to them, the buttons that are unavailable (New item, New note, Add attachment) could be grayed out, which would make clear that those features are blocked with no need to click each one.

Thanks for your response!
  • You're right that this isn't possible now. I sort of doubt that we'd implement this in Zotero itself, but I think it could be done via a Zotero plugin mostly by modifying the user interface via XUL overlays, without actually dealing much with code. If it ran on top of Zotero Standalone (which I assume is what you would want anyway), there'd be even less to disable.
    When a user browses a group library that is read-only to them, the buttons that are unavailable (New item, New note, Add attachment) could be grayed out, which would make clear that those features are blocked with no need to click each one.
    That should already be the case in the latest beta.
  • As an alternative, a plugin might be able to override the editable flag for the personal library, allowing Zotero to take care of the rest as it already does for read-only group libraries. Not sure how well that would work, but it's probably worth a try.

In either case, the plugin would still need to disable access to the prefs.
  • Thanks. Is it possible to override the editable flag without a plugin, say, by editing zotero.sqlite directly?

I haven't tried standalone because I haven't wanted to use it while in beta, since stability is important in a public kiosk. What would be the advantage to standalone for public use?
  • What is the usecase for this? Would it be acceptable for you to just configure the library like you want and then reset Zotero to this state every time it is started?
  • that you don't have to lock down the entire browser. Standalone is quite stable, I wouldn't be concerned.

Also, what exactly is the use case here? I.e. what functionality that you need would syncing the library and making it public online not provide?
  • "What is the usecase for this?"

We are setting up one or two terminals where the general public can view the references from an environmental impact report.

"what functionality that you need would syncing the library and making it public online not provide?"

Advanced search is not available with a group library, other than creating a saved search, which is impossible when the group member has no edit privileges (and complicated for unfamiliar users)

Also I need to make it impossible to export content, including via email, so it would be preferable to not have Internet access enabled. However, I suppose it would work to download/sync, then go offline.

To truly disable export, which I imagine will not be possible with standalone either, we may just buy USB port-blockers that prevent anything from being plugged in that would allow for export.

"Would it be acceptable for you to just configure the library like you want and then reset Zotero to this state every time it is started?"

I've considered that, but it requires frequent, manual re-loading, as far as I can tell. That would require too much babysitting of the terminal.
  • Someone who knew what they were doing could probably create a plugin fairly easily that hid or disabled all the functionality you didn't want. If you had money to commission it, you might find someone here willing to take that on.
  • I'll explore standalone, and I'll let you know if there's interest in commissioning a plugin. Thanks for your help, Dan.