Show only short or long journal title with different formatting

Hello,

I'm having a small problem with showing abbreviated journal names vs normal publication names. I need the publication name to show as "Publication." but the abbreviated version to show as "Pub" without a period. I can easily strip the period from the abbreviated name with strip-periods, but how can I add a period to the long name?

Currently my formatting is as follows:

<if type="article-journal article-magazine" match="any">
<group suffix=" ">
<text variable="container-title" form="short" strip-periods="true" />
<text variable="container-title" form="long" />

Is there a choose statement which enables me to find out if the entry is made with the long or abbreviated journal name and format them differently? Adding prefix="." to the long name did not work.
  • That style would show both the short and the long version of the title where it exists, so that's not good.
    I don't think there is currently a way to do this as csl doesn't allow you to distinguish between short and long titles (with an if or so).
  • CSL 1.0.1 will introduce a dedicated variable for the short form of container-title, container-title-short, so you can test whether an abbreviation is available.
  • I currently solved the issue by writing this:

<choose>
    <group suffix=" ">
    <text variable="container-title" form="short" strip-periods="true" />
    </group>
    </if>
    </choose>

<choose>
    <group suffix=". ">
    <text variable="container-title" form="long" />
    </group>
    </if>
    </choose>

but this is far from ideal as now either the journal name or journal abbreviated name has to be empty.

How soon do you assume the 1.0.1 version will be out?
  • CSL development is currently somewhat in hibernation mode until the Zotero project implements some CSL-related changes, which should happen for the Zotero version after 3.0. We're talking several months at least.