Could not save a blog entry on Blogspot

Dear Zotero,

I just tried to save a Blogspot blog entry to you, see Report ID 1317251514. I tried both standalone and FF plugin (with updated translators).

The entry I wanted to save is http://friaassociationer.blogspot.com/2012/01/metodologisk-pluralism-inom.html

My Zotero plugin version is 3.0b3.
  • Forgot: Zotero says "Save to Zotero (Blogger)". Note that the entry is on Blogspot, not Blogger.
  • Blogger is the name of the service, blogspot the address of the sites.
    Apparently Zotero doesn't appreciate the international version here - we should be able to fix that pretty easily - I'll let you know when it's up.
  • edited January 27, 2012
    I just tried again and it did not work. id = 341911452
  • I also tested this one now (I actually created the report id from that):

http://friaassociationer.blogspot.com/2012/01/metodologisk-pluralism-inom.html
  • edited January 27, 2012
    as I say:
    I'll let you know when it's up.
  • Oh, yes. Sorry ;-)
  • the fix is now up. Unfortunately it won't work on the links above, since those have moved to a non-blogspot URL, but generally this will work better for non English blogs now.
  • Thanks for notifying me, adamsmith.

Can't the meta tag here be used for recognizing the page type:

<meta content='blogger' name='generator'/>
  • the problem is that Zotero recognizes pages in two steps:
    1. It looks for a pattern in the URL
    If it recognizes the URL pattern it
    2. looks for a patter in the page itself

If Zotero were to look for multiple patterns on every loaded site it would significantly slow down browsing. There are only 4 different, very widely used general patterns that Zotero looks for in all pages.
  • Oh yes, forgot. But a simple solution for that would be that it did not look for the pattern in cases like this until I want to save the page.
  • While theoretically possible, I don't see a good solution to actually make that work.
    Either Zotero would have to run through the detectWeb functions of all 300+ translators when you say you want to save the page (and that actually wouldn't work, since some detect functions are quite generic (because the URL target regex is very specific) and will always return a value) or the user would have to select among those 300+ translators which seems like it'd create more chaos than benefit.

The last option would be to have a 2nd level detect function - i.e. a function that just looks for unambiguous patters like the one you have above - but that'd be an entirely new thing and I'm not convinced the pay-off would correspond to the outcome - how many sites apart from blogger would that actually apply to?

On a different note - maybe we _can_ come up with a useful and sufficiently restrictive target regex for blogspot posts on non blogspot domains -- looks like they're all /\d{4}/\d{2}/[\w-]+\.html
  • An easier way would perhaps be to mark some of the translators to run in the 2nd level detection function.
  • well - but that's a whole layer of functionality that doesn't currently exist in Zotero and would have to be coded - we're not just talking translators anymore. So that would have to have a significant added benefit to be worthwhile and as I say, I currently don't see that.