Egyptian Transliteration Unicode Font Support

I am copying and pasting text from a Word document into various fields in Zotero. The text is in the New Athena Unicode font designed for use by papyrologists dealing with Greek and Egyptian materials. Some of the signs appear without difficulty, but a number of the signs appear only as a box with alpha-numeric codes (e.g. EC 42: m šny w r ḥm=f). Have I done something wrong or is there a possible fix?

Thanks.
  • edited December 17, 2011
    Zotero will have trouble displaying glyphs that are not included in the Unicode standard, such as those used by the convention of the American Philological Association. Are the characters that don't work in this list: http://apagreekkeys.org/technicalDetails.html#PUA ?

Also, we need to determine whether this is an issue with Word messing up the copied text-- are you able to type these characters directly into Zotero's fields, or into textboxes like those on this forum?
  • Thanks.

The characters that don't work are not in that list.

Typing the characters into Zotero's fields produces the same errors, just as in this text box:

w=f ḥtp  wr.t

Thanks.
  • Does it work to type _any_ Greek or Egyptian characters directly into fields in Firefox/Zotero? How about other programs apart from Word?

This sounds like a text entry issue. What operating system are you using?
  • Even if they're in Unicode, if they're not available in the standard system fonts, then they won't display properly in Zotero (or here). You'd have to modify Zotero to use the special Unicode font you're using. You could do this with a userChrome.css file:

#zotero-pane {
    font-family: "your font";
    }
  • I think Dan is correct. Yes, many Greek and Egyptian characters work properly and can be input into Zotero or Firefox. However, there are some that do not work (as shown above - the "h" with a dot underneath works fine, while the double aleph comes out as a box with EC 42 and the ayin comes out as EC 43). These characters appear to be beyond the standard system fonts. I'm using Windows XP and the fonts appear without issue in Word 2007.

I know very little about coding or editing the .css files. I'll search around and see if I can handle such a task. Thanks.
  • No need to search. My link above explains how to do this, and I provide the example code.