Using Zotero as a Firefox tab

I'd prefer to use Zotero as a tab than browser pane.

However, I don't understand how to add content to a tab. There is no 'create item from current page' button anywhere, no right-click menu option either, and no drag and drop.

What's the workflow supposed to be when using a tab?

Thanks.
  • There is no 'create item from current page' button anywhere, no right-click menu option either
    Right-click on a webpage and choose Zotero -> Create New Item from Current Page. You can also of course use the address bar icon for translator-based saving.
  • Thanks for your reply.

As I stated, there is no right-click menu option for zotero. If there's supposed to be, I've got no idea why it's not there or when it disappeared. I'll investigate.

Cheers.
  • It's highly unlikely it's not there - what _exactly_ are you trying to do to get to that menu?
  • Right-clicking on a web page, to bring up the right-click menu.

Do you know, if I uninstall the zotero firefox plugin and reinstall it, will I keep my library and settings?
  • yes you will, but it's highly unlikely to solve such an isolated problem and isn't recommended.
    First step in troubleshooting would be to disable all other add-ons.
  • Actually .. although I've been using zotero .. I've just noticed that I share Chianti's observation .. I don't have a right click option in Firefox 8 to select any web page for listing in zotero collection .. I have been using the zotero pop up window for this. It may be due to a conflict with other add-ons such as FoxTab.
  • The right-click menu option is only available in Zotero 3.0.
  • I'm using the 2.1.10 Firefox plugin, so that explains it.

I guess it is just an oversight then, that there is no button to 'create item from current page' when in tabbed mode. There doesn't even appear to be a shortcut combo for it.

However, a workaround is to have zotero tabbed in it's own window and do most of the editing work there, and have another window open with the websites in, and use the pane mode in that one to add items. This works well and solves my workflow difficulties.

Out of interest, if I installed the stand alone beta v3.x, would it keep my libraries intact, and update the firefox plugin?

Thanks very much for the support; it's appreciated.
  • I guess it is just an oversight then, that there is no button to 'create item from current page' when in tabbed mode.
    No, it's not. There's no webpage for it to save.
    Out of interest, if I installed the stand alone beta v3.x, would it keep my libraries intact, and update the firefox plugin?
    There's a 3.0 beta version of the Firefox extension that you can install. You can also install Standalone, but you should upgrade to the 3.0 Firefox extension as well if you want to use them at the same time.
  • Cheers. I'll give it a whirl.