Sync items | storage | fees

I have a question about this paragraph in the Zotero documentation:

Data syncing merges library items, notes, links, tags, etc.—everything except attachment files—between your local computer and the Zotero servers, allowing you to work with your data from any computer with Zotero installed. It also allows you to view your library online on zotero.org. Data syncing is free, has no storage limit, and can be used without file syncing.

Attachment files are those files that are dropped on a reference item, correct? For instance a PDF file of a book, etc.?

data syncing is FREE and has NO STORAGE LIMIT? I was under the impression that we get 100 MB for FREE and then must pay for more. What is being counted toward the 100 MB?

What about simple pdf documents that are not "attached" to an item in the Zotero database? Are those synced to the server?

I am trying to make sense of the syncing process. I have a somewhat large library (with numerous pdf's to go along with it) and am trying to get my mind wrapped around this program as I work on adding my library to Zotero.

Thanks for your help. This is a great program and, as a gfraduate student, I am finding this to be a huge help.
  • Attachment files are those files that are dropped on a reference item, correct? For instance a PDF file of a book, etc.?
    correct. But also e.g. the snapshot of a webpage.
    data syncing is FREE and has NO STORAGE LIMIT? I was under the impression that we get 100 MB for FREE and then must pay for more. What is being counted toward the 100 MB?
    only files - e.g. I (data) sync my library with a couple of thousand items to Zotero, but I don't use file syncing for my library (you can turn it off in the preferences) because I only work on one computer, and so I don't use any of my free 100MB (I actually do use about 1MB for a couple of attachments in a group library).
    What about simple pdf documents that are not "attached" to an item in the Zotero database? Are those synced to the server?
    99% yes, but someone would have to confirm to be 100% sure.