Saving bibliographic information on a web page

I've got Zotero Standalone 3.0b2.1, the connector for Safari, and OSX 10.6.8.

I'm wondering if there's a way to specify the collection into which web items are saved.

Currently, unless I remember to set the collection ahead of time, I can't tell where the item has been saved. I would have thought in unfiled items, but that's never the case. Search for the item often doesn't work. Likewise, holding the option key down, which I understand should highlight the collections in which the item appears, doesn't work either. Or maybe I don't understand how these tools work.

Having to select the collection ahead of time is not convenient when you serendipitously come across something interesting and decide you'd like to save it. It would be much better to have the option of a designated collection specifically for web saves.

Thanks,
  • edited November 26, 2011
    You can always find all items, filed and unfiled, under "My Library". Moreover you can sort by date added and even create a saved search for items added in the last seven days, for instance. See Zotero tips #6 and #8.

From My Library you can drag and drop items in your collections. Searching for the item should definitely bring it up. Holding the option key down while having an item selected highlights the collections in which that item is filed. Unfiled items can always be found via the "unfiled" collection but if that is not working for you the items must already be part of some collection, presumably the one you had selected when saving the item.
  • you're correct, that's currently not possible.

To find the most recent item you saved (regardless of collection), I order My Library by "Date Added".

The option key should highlight the collections an item is in if the item is selected - that doesn't work on Standalone?
  • Thanks to both of you. I added the date added column to the records list and created a "recently added" saved search. The latter is what I was hoping for.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
  • OK. I'm looking for it. thank you all.