Oxford University / Bodleian / Solo

Is there any news on site translators for the main Oxford University library (Solo) site?

http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1321024326774&vid=OXVU1&fromLogin=true

It seems to have been over a year since the problem was first noted. The translator appears in the browser address bar, but when clicked all we get is:

Saving Item...
An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information.

It seems a shame given it's one of the world's major research libraries for people inside and outside of Oxford.
  • this works for me - what's an example of a book that doesn't work (provide a citation - I'm not sure if a link will work)?
    one problem could be that the catalog may be slightly different if you're logged in. In that case, we'd need someone from Oxford to help fix it.
  • This is the link to the work:

http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?tabs=detailsTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=oxfaleph016861820&indx=1&recIds=oxfaleph016861820&recIdxs=0&elementId=0&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=&dscnt=1&vl(105258007UI0)=any&vl(103770091UI1)=all_items&scp.scps=scope%3A(NET)%2Cscope%3A(OX)&frbg=&tab=local&dstmp=1321025818440&srt=rank&mode=Basic&dum=true&tb=t&vl(1UIStartWith0)=contains&vl(freeText0)=witchcraft%20and%20whigs&vid=OXVU1

For the book 'Witchcraft and Whigs'.

I'm using Chrome with Zotero Standalone.

I'm not logged in as I'm at home, but I am connecting through an Oxford University IP address on a VPN.
  • Sorry, I don't think that link works.

I typed in 'Witchcraft and Whigs' in the search bar of SOLO at the following URL:

http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?vid=OXVU1&fromLogin=true&reset_config=true
  • I should also add that I've tried it outside of Oxford now, not on a VPN, nor logged in, and I'm getting the same problem.
  • works for me on FF.
    Please send an error report after triggering the error and post the ID here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • I've now just tested it with the built-in version of Zotero with Firefox and that is working perfectly. So the issue with with Chrome and/or Standalone?
  • Here's the Report ID:

Report ID:374568871
  • that's good to know. Some thoughts:
    1. Most library catalogs have timed sessions. Solo ends your session pretty quickly, so if you let a page sit for a while and then try to import it into Zotero you get an error
    2. Could be related to something Chrome does (if someone could test with Safari that might be helpful)
    3. There is a chance that for some reason it doesn't work with connectors to standalone, though I don't see anything in the translator that would cause that, so i doubt it.
  • @Dan - what does the report say?
  • I've just tried it on Safari. I get the same error.

The translator on Safari works with all my other sites.

So the problem is localised to the SOLO / Bodleian translator working with either Safari or Chrome (but not Firefox).
  • Simon will have to take this one.
  • Anyone?

I've been in contact with IT and the librarians at Oxford regarding SOLO. They are aware there used to be a problem with Zotero and SOLO after SOLO was upgraded to Primo 3, which is now fixed, not sure they can do anything their end about the Standalone site translators.

If someone is able to figure out why the Oxford University libraries (SOLO) are not working with Zotero Standalone on Chrome or Safari (see my Report ID above), I'd be very grateful: I've got used to Standalone, and much prefer it, I don't want to go back to Firefox.

Thanks.
  • OK - a quick update - we now know what the problem is - it requires a substantial rewrite of the translator, so the fix may take a little while, Rintze, ajlyon or I will post here when it's done.
  • OK this should now be fixed and Solo should work with Zotero standalone.
  • I'm using standalone with Safari. At first I had no trouble saving items from SOLO, but now it doesn't work, and I get the same error message as the person who started this thread. I've downloaded the Firefox version and that seems to work (although occasionally items I have saved don't turn up in my main list of documents), so I'm using that for the time being, but would prefer to be able to use Safari. Any advice?
  • there seems to be a primo problem with Safari - I can't troubleshoot that, someone with a mac would have to take a look. Primo works not just with Firefox but also with Chrome.
  • edited May 12, 2012
    Ok, I've started having trouble with Firefox now. It used to work fine, but now I get the error message and items I select won't save.
  • Just tried it on Chrome and that doesn't work either.
  • sample URLs?
  • Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/bsn3kop

The URL was huge so shrank it.
  • looks like I can replicate this - I'll have a look, but I'm moving and getting married within the next 2 weeks, so bear with me.
  • No worries, I appreciate the help. And congratulations!
  • first look: The Primo translator doesn't work for the "Journal Article" search, only for the "Oxford Collections" search.
    I can see at some point if that can be fixed - ideally by making it work for journal articles, if not by not detecting items on those pages, but until then this should allow you to work with this consistently.