Entering references in footnotes

I am using AAA style and trying to insert a reference in an extended descriptive footnote (Word2010). I was able to do this with other styles in the past but this time when I try I reeive the following error:

[JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "This method or property is not available because the object refers to a footnote, endnote or comment." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField" location: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"]"]

Can I just not do this? Should I do it manually?
  • edited November 8, 2011
    For some reason, a lot of things have gone broke overnight - I'm a little confused why, but they clearly have.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/20449/probleme-mit-fussnoten/#Item_7
    is mostly in German, but it's the same issue so follow along there.

(edit, to clarify: no, don't do it manually, no, that error shouldn't occur, and yes, that should definitely be possible).
  • Thanks adam! I'm amazed at your forum prowess. I'll try to follow in the German...
    BY the way adam, you do know Mozilla pushed FF8.0 last night/today, right?
  • yes - doesn't seem related, but not sure. Simon is working on those issues right now.
  • Things broke overnight because we had to update all of the Word plugins for Firefox 8, and there are bugs. zoyoni: would you mind sending the file to support@zot...org and letting us know which footnote you're having trouble with? I'm having trouble reproducing this on my own in a new document.
    Hi simon,
    its my dissertation so i'm pretty hesitant to send it actually... I guess i can cut/copy/paste that one page, but would that screw up the bug (if that makes sense)?

edit: its at 120 pages right now, also...
  • Just try - copy that page into a new document and see if you get the same error message trying to insert a citation into a footnote. If you do, send that.
    I believe in the German thread people said that the problem existed even for completely new documents.
  • Hey there,

same Problem for me since yesterday evening.
    I've tried several reinstallations for fixing the problem but nothing worked (First Zotero, Firefox (v. 8 & v. 4), Office (2010), and Windows). Just to let you know, the problem doesn't depent on a special document. I also realised, that there is no problem with the already set footnotes (could be refreshed an everything).

Finally I "solved" the problem by installing Word 2007 besinde my Office 2010. With it everything works fine.
  • edited November 9, 2011
    I am also experiencing this issue. MS Word 2010, Firefox 8. I had to update Firefox this morning, and I updated Zotero to the latest version, which seems to have caused the issue.

Every time I try to edit a footnote, it comes up with that exact error message "This method or property is not available because the object refers to a footnote, endnote or comment." This happens both on an existing document and on a new, blank document.
  • Adam and Simon
    I can confirm that copy/pasting that page (inc footnote) into a new doc generates that same error. So does creating a new doc, creating a new footnote, and inserting that way. Yikes!
  • That sounds like it might possibly be caused by selecting Bookmarks in the Document Preferences menu?
  • No fbennett, fields are selected.
  • that was my first thought, but that's not it.
    I checked that with the first German user who reported it and she had "Fields" selected. Also, it wouldn't explain the confluence of multiple users with the same problem at the same time.
  • edited November 9, 2011
    Can one or more of you try the Word for Windows Integration Dev XPI, which should fix this?
  • I have experienced the same problem and tried the'integration dev xpi', it did not solve the problem and I actually got a new error message (instead of the one that was mentioned above):

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

"Runtime error

Program: C:\Program Files (x86) Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have Word 2010
  • I am having exactly the same problem since the update, any progress so far?
  • Simon - I can update to the dev xpi if you want, but two questions:

1. Can I "downgrade" to a nondev version after or am I stuck on the dev path?
    2. Will I receive the same error cedhoh081 got? I want to avoid that!
  • Update - After getting the initial error, it seems that restarting the applications (Firefox and MSWord2010) did it for me after updating to the dev xpi.

Right now it is functional - thx for the update!
  • zoyoni: Yes, you can downgrade to a non-dev version. I don't know if you will receive the same error cedhoh081 got, but it won't destroy any data and you can always revert to the current version.
  • Actually, you will get that error, but afterwards it should work, and I've fixed the error but I have to wait for Dan to build a new XPI.
  • I have also had this problem. Installing the dev xpi gave me the runtime error mentioned above. I have tried restarting the apps but the error continues to appear.
  • Should be fixed in Word for Windows Integration 3.1.4, available now.
  • Simon: And.. We are good! Effing props to you, Dan, Adam and the rest of the team.
This discussion has been closed.