a Virus

After finding a paper in Web of Knowledge I click on it and now Zotero redirects me to a website not related to the article I have just clicked on. This happens with any article from any journal, very crazy and unseen in my Zotero workflow. Is this a Virus? How to fix it? I have Windows 7. Thanks!
  • what's the site?
  • Yesterday Zotero redirected to a psicologhy journal instead of a Physics journal, today Zotero redirects to a page that can not be found with following url
    http://dp.thomsonib.com/doi/full/10.1021/jz101535f

But like I said it is not the same all the time
  • when you say "Zotero redirects me" - how do you know it's Zotero?
    The only time Zotero redirects URLs is through it's proxy redirection feature.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/proxies
    you can check if that's gotten messed up somehow. (Start by disabling it and see if that fixes things. If it does, you can take a closer look at the settings.)

Also - does this only happen with WoS or also with other articles/databases?
  • I deleted all the proxies in Preferences and now Zotero redirects correctly. Not sure what caused the sudden change but now is showing me correct journals and links. Thanks.
  • Regarding your question on how do I know it is Zotero. There is a message that says "Zotero redirects...proxy...". Thanks.
  • Most likely scenario is that Zotero recognized something as a proxy that wasn't and you OKd it without giving it much thought. I'm pretty sure this was entirely harmless, although theoretically it can be dangerous (which is why Zotero does display a warning and requires you to OK new proxies).
  • Maybe you are right. I'll be more careful with the proxy thing but if you could give some guidelines on how to tell what proxy is a good proxy I would really appreciate it.
  • a proxy is usually clearly identifiable as belonging to the institution you're using to access a resource. It usually takes a form like
    proxy.mylibrary.edu
    with some variations.
    If you're not accessing a resource through your university/library/other institution and Zotero prompts you to add a proxy that's likely not right (feel free to report such cases - ideally Zotero should never do that and it's certainly very rare).
  • Thank you Adam.