error 1262294786, sync, "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFi

Howdy folks. Here's a repeatable synchronization error in Zotero 2.1.10. So far, I've updated Java, disabled security software, tried to alter read/write permissions from windows 7 explorer and the command line, tried a later version of Zotero, and uninstalled and reinstalled both Firefox 7.0.1 and current Zotero. Other machines sync fine, both are running XP. Yo.

Here's the error rep't text in full:

[JavaScript Error: "Image corrupt or truncated: <unknown>" {file: "<unknown>" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.isFile]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _deleteExistingAttachmentFiles :: line 1288" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1288}]
  • edited November 6, 2011
    1) It might be due to security software you have on your system. If you have any, try disabling it temporarily to see if it's interfering with Zotero. Sorry, I see you already did this.

2) Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error.
  • After two stalled sync attempts of >1hr, I got a different error set reported as 560664818, The Debug ID is D465884285.

Then an inability to delete tmp file I've seen before and worked around, and finally a set close to the original, not as repeatable as I thought. That is reported as 1852772895, The Debug ID is D1033463349.

I can quote text of both here if you like.

Thx for your trouble. --Wes
  • That first one is a connection timeout between you and the Amazon servers (which Zotero uses for file syncing), but that's likely unrelated.

The second one is the same issue. Take a look in the storage/8U4AZK3P directory within your Zotero data directory. There's a .lnk (Windows file alias) in there that might be causing this. Delete it.
  • That worked after a few stalls -- and each sync restart required deleting that file again. But I'm up to date now. Is the .lnk extension something I should search and destroy when I have issues w/synchronization?

Anyway. Thanks for your trouble.

Cheers
    --Wes
  • It's something you created on another system. (Zotero would ideally prevent you from importing a .lnk, but it doesn't currently.) Delete the associated attachment in Zotero.