Translator for inspirehep.net

Hi all,

I would like to request a translator for INSPIRE. It is the successor to SPIRES (which will be switched off soon), the most popular literature and preprint database in the field of Particle Physics.

There is an existing SPIRES translator, which will soon become obsolete when SPIRES is switched off. Instead, it would be great to have a translator for INSPIRE.

At the moment, grabbing something using unAPI does not really work (e.g. no journal information is fetched, and neither an associated PDF from arXiv).

In particle physics, there are often papers with many (several hundred) authors. In such cases, it would be preferred to store them as 'First Author, and others' instead of the full list.

Many thanks in advance, and let me know if you need a beta tester.

Best regards,
  • WRT to journal information there is some discussion what to do with journal names for preprint archives. That has come up for ArXiv, too.

Generally It would be preferable to get them to improve the data served via unAPI - is there really no chance of that?
  • I have sent a mail to the INSPIRE folks, indicating possibilities to improve their interaction with Zotero. Let's see what they say.

Regarding author lists, it would indeed be very beneficial if Zotero would only store a max. number of authors (say 5), and if there are more just add 'and others'. If I fetch an article with several hundred authors (which is not uncommon in particle physcis due to the size of the experimental collaborations), Zotero just becomes unresponsive for a few minutes. Maybe this could even be made a configurable option in Zotero (max authors to fetch)?

Best regards
  • A quick update - Zotero should handle this better in the next version (likely the last 3.0 beta version before the release candidate).

As far as I can tell, the unAPI now works better and includes journal information. It doesn't get pdfs and I suspect that may stay that way. Relying on the unAPI is more stable than a dedicated translator, so I'm not very inclined to mess with that.