Zotero standalone automated installer (Linux)

2»
  • Thanks Sebastian, the ppa works like a charm!
  • Hi Guys,

Your package works very well. I think I need to uninstall/remove standalone though. I am having trouble doing this.

I get this:
    ian@ian-Aspire:~$ sudo apt-get remove zotero
    [sudo] password for ian:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package 'zotero' is not installed, so not removed
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    kde-l10n-engb kde-l10n-hu
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
  • Hi everyone,

I work under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I used Sebastian's procedure (first post, "sebastiaan.mathot
    Oct 27th 2011") and it did not work, but after few edits it worked very well.

Here are the lines I used (in a standard terminal, hence the need for some "sudo"):

wget https://raw.github.com/smathot/zotero_installer/master/zotero_installer.sh
    sudo chmod +x zotero_installer.sh
    sudo /home/[your user name here]/zotero_installer.sh

The Zotero launcher in the application menu is installed in the "other" sub-menu. You can modify this by using the "Main Menu" utility in the "System Tools > Preferences" menu.

Cheers,
    am_zot.
  • Hello everyone

I just installed the Standalone (use the online version usually) on Ubuntu 12.04, seems to work fine just as the online one, BUT

Where is Zotero located? How can I put a Menu Item (in the same Office folder where is LibreOffice, for example), so I can "call" zotero?

Thanks in advance

O: -)
  • edited October 7, 2013
    Hello CainPy,

If you use Gnome-Classic:
    -------------------------
    As I said in my post above yours, the Zotero launcher is installed in the "other" sub-menu of the application menu. You can modify this by using the "Main Menu" utility in the "System Tools > Preferences" menu.
    Once you have launched the "Main Menu" utility, you have to click on "Other" sub-menu (left pane of "Main Menu" utility), then drag the Zotero entry, which will appear on the right pane of "Main Menu" utility, towards the location you want it to be on the left pane of "Main Menu" utility, and drop it there. It will copy the entry, not cut-and-paste it, so you can multiply places where you would like Zotero to appear. You can also hide an entry, or delete it (but at least keep one), if you want.

If you use Unity:
    ----------------
    The dashboard should show the Zotero icon when you search it, and you can launch Zotero and keep in in your launcher bar by right-clicking on its icon in the launcher while it is running.
  • Thanks for your answer AM_ZOT .. the problem is ... there is no Zotero launcher on my "Others" folder ...

Y use Gnome3 desktop with some addons that gave me the Applications in the old and comprehensive way ... Could it be a problem?

OR, maybe the problem is the system language, as far as it is in Spanish and "Other" become "Otros". Could?

ALSO, I follow your suggestion about the Main Menu Utility ... and Zotero launcher is it not there (unmarked) ... O: -?

TKS again

• CainPY:

I am a complete ignorant about Gnome3. But normally, you should be able to open a session with choices of "Ubuntu" (=Unity), "Gnome-Classic" (=Gnome2), or "Gnome" (=Gnome3). These are different interfaces to the very same system, but they do not offer exactly the same functionalities.

So you might want to try a Gnome2 session and see if the maneuver that I described works for you. And yes, the menu entry "Other" will be "Otros" in Spanish (in my French version, it is "Autres"). You say "folder", but I guess you meant "menu", right?

Saludos
  • AM ZOT, good night

yes, I mean "menu" ... sorry.

Finally I reached Zotero by bash ... sh run-zotero.sh, the same as used for install it. Now must learn how to put it on menu ...

merci beaucoup

• Just worked for me using OpenSUSE 13.1, thanks Sebastian!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to use the openSUSE Build System (https://build.opensuse.org/) to build packages for all distros at the same time, from the same source and without multiplying efforts? I think fedora has something similar called COPR (https://copr.fedoraproject.org/), but OBS is way more well-known.
  • It did not work for me. I got the following output.

>>> Downloading Zotero standalone 4.0.28 for x86_64
    >>> URL: http://download.zotero.org/standalone/4.0.28/Zotero-4.0.28_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
    --2015-09-14 20:32:17-- http://download.zotero.org/standalone/4.0.28/Zotero-4.0.28_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
    Resolving download.zotero.org (download.zotero.org)... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address ‘download.zotero.org’
    >>> Failed to download Zotero
    >>> Aborting installation, sorry!
  • works on Korora 22, thanks!
  • Thank you Sebastian!
  • edited April 23, 2016
    Thank you so much sebastiaan.mathot!

I tried to install Zotero Standalone in Debian 8 with its deb package, but it was installed but it didn't open :( Now Zotero works perfectly!

Regards, Iván
  • Thank you, Sebastian! This saved me a bunch of time. :)
  • This is a gem. Great work my friend! Saved my a lot of trouble!
  • I tried to install zotero on Opensuse Leap 42.3. Everything seemed to work until at last this error:

>>> Creating menu entry
    /home/ebi/zotero_installer.sh: Zeile 131: /home/ebi/.local/share/applications/zotero.desktop: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
    >>> Failed to create menu entry
    >>> Aborting installation, sorry!

What should I do?
  • Thank you Sebastian! The scripted worked perfectly for Fedora 32.

• edited September 15, 2020
    Note that, if you prefer a package and are using a Debian-based Linux, you can use https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb.