how to edit too-long multi-phrase tag in dialog="Sync Error"?

I recently imported |items| > 100 from an Endnote library via RefMan. The import into Zotero was successful, but on (manual) sync I got dialog="Sync Error" complaining about an overly long tag. However the change offered in the dialog's tab=Split is unsatisfactory: it just splits on every space, and plainly (to me) the offending "single tag" is a catenation of phrases. But when I click on tab=Edit, I see nothing there, until I thrash about the UI randomly for a bit: then the textarea in tab=Edit shows

abiotic controls aboveground net primary production dominant species and growthforms evolutional history of grazing grazing intensity grazing duration herbivory rangeland condition and trend root mass vs. grazing shrub invasion soil organic matter species composition

So I select that and cut'n'paste to emacs, where I edit to

abiotic controls
net primary production
dominant species
dominant growthforms
evolutionary history of grazing
grazing
intensity of grazing
duration of grazing
herbivory
rangeland condition
rangeland trend
root mass
shrub invasion
soil organic matter
species composition

which I then paste into the textarea in tab=Edit. But the Edit textarea does not recognize these as separate tags: it complains about the length of the region above, and disables button=Save Tag. So I'm now wondering, how best to do this edit?

* Is there another way to edit the tag in tab=Edit?

* Should I instead edit the tag from (the UI for) the item that throws the error (i.e., on the RHS of zotero)? N.b., It Would Be Nice if dialog="Sync Error" pointed to the offending item as well as the offending tag.

* Would I be better off editing the tags in the RefMan export.txt, and re-importing? I suspect more than one of the records imported will have this problem.

FWIW, I'm running

zotero=2.1.10
firefox=Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0 (per http://whatsmyuseragent.com/)
$ lsb_release -ds
Linux Mint Debian Edition
$ uname -rv
3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011
  • Should I instead edit the tag from (the UI for) the item that throws the error (i.e., on the RHS of zotero)?
    Yes. Edit to add a distinct delimiter, and then when you get the same wizard on the next sync, choose that delimiter in the Split pane.