Error report #1098029492: File X could not be created in 'storage' directory

I've been repeatedly getting errors syncing particular files with a note that "File X could not be created in 'storage' directory"

Sometimes I also get "cannot delete RRMGX6QK.tmp" I follow the advice to check for read-only files via the parent Zotero folder, and I find that there is some read-only file in the folder. So I uncheck read-only for the folder and all subfolders. Later the same problem recurs.

Help please.

WinXP
Firefox 3.6.23
  • I should add that I moved my Zotero folder to an alternate location--inside my Dropbox folder. I wonder if that is contributing to the problem.

My goal is to have backups, since Dropbox saves prior versions of any files it syncs. But Dropbox can only update when files are unlocked and unused, i.e. when I quit Firefox.
  • edited October 18, 2011
    sorry, I don't think we'll be able to help you - read permissions are file-system/OS issues and not related to Zotero - Zotero never changes the permission on files - as I understand it's not even able to do that.
    I can't tell you if Dropbox is the problem, but I could very well see that.
    As a general rule, putting your Zotero folder into dropbox is not recommended. If you're using dropbox on more than one computer that's a recipe for disaster. If you're just using it to back-up one computer I'm not as concerned, but depending on how it syncs exactly could still see problems.
  • Thanks for the response. As I test, I moved my library out of Dropbox and back into the Firefox profile default location. The sync appeared to get farther, but eventually resulted in an error (Report #1325002289) about a different file that could not be created in the 'storage' directory.
  • You may have a few different issues here, but the next 3.0 beta, due out very shortly, will likely fix at least one (and perhaps all) of them.
  • Can you say when 3.0 expected to be out of beta? I'm a little concerned about it introducing new problems while it is still in beta.
  • Soon. The next beta will be feature-frozen.

If you want, you can also install the trunk XPI (which is a few days from the next 3.0 beta and therefore fairly stable, though you should obviously have a backup of your Zotero data directory regardless), see if the sync goes through, and then switch back to the latest 3.0 beta.