U.S. Digest of Education Statistics

The U.S. Digest of Education Statistics appears to be causing problems (at least the URL http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_041.asp ). Zotero says it's using the Embedded RDF translator, so that could be part of the problem. Anyway, I get a saving error.

I'm using Zotero Standalone 3.0b2.1 with Google Chrome 14 on Mac OS 10.6.8.
  • The site doesn't provide any metadata on the data presented; the RDF applies to the Digest itself, not the table:
    <META NAME='DC.Title' CONTENT='Digest of Education Statistics, 2010'>
    <META NAME='DC.Description' CONTENT='The primary purpose of the Digest of Education Statistics is to provide a compilation of statistical information covering the broad field of American education from prekindergarten through graduate school. The Digest includes a selection of data from many sources, both government and private, and draws especially on the results of surveys and activities carried out by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). '>
    <META NAME='DC.Publisher' CONTENT='National Center for Education Statistics'>
    <META NAME='DC.Language' SCHEME='RFC1766' CONTENT='EN'>

It does contain information on the table, but not in a standard format:
    <META NAME="keywords" content="quicktable">
    <META NAME="qttitle" content="Percentage distribution of students ages 5 through 17 attending kindergarten through 12th grade, by school type or participation in homeschooling and selected child, parent, and household characteristics: 1999, 2003, and 2007">
    <META NAME="qtsource" content="Digest of Education Statistics">
    <META NAME="qtyear" content="2007">
    <META NAME="qtstatcat" content="Elementary/Secondary">

Someone could probably write a translator for this, but the standard metadata is too meager to get any quality data without that step.
  • OK, I'll see if I have time to write one.