Save pdfs in a different location than database?

Hello all,

I am exploring different ways to manage my HUGE zotero database (in fact, it makes firefox run a little slow when open).

What I would like to do is save all of the item information that makes up the database to the zotero free online storage. This is what I'm currently doing, but what I want to change is:

Save pdf attachments to a separate flash drive. The main purpose being to take up less space, hopefully make zotero/firefox run faster, and to not lose so many attachments. Recently I have been getting the "can't locate item" message which I have tried to diagnose by reading these forums but now I just want to migrate to a new file saving system. When I am accessing zotero online I will know that I only have the citations to work with unless I have the flash drive with me to get to the files.

The additional purpose of saving pdfs elsewhere: For the work I do I often need to work with the files themselves, email, etc. And I would like to have the pdf files organized in such a way that I can easily browse through them, like in folders that make sense to me (not have to go through the cumbersome zotero directory).

Is the only way to do this to download the file, save it where I want it, and then manually link the zotero item to that file? If so I don't mind doing this even though it is a little tedious. And if I decide to reorganize my files I will know that I have to manually relink every file I moved, correct?

Some further questions about this:

1. When I link a zotero item to a file on my computer (or flash drive, etc.) does it copy the item into the zotero folder? This would negate my goal of making my zotero database less bulky.

2. Both my computers (home and work) are synced. Will they both know to look for an attached file on the flash drive (assuming it's plugged in). Or will I have to manually link to the pdf files on each computer? What about when I'm accessing my databse from a new computer using my online account? Will it know to look for the location on the flash drive?

3. If I do this should I turn off the setting about "automatically attach associated files, etc..."? I like that it pulls the pdf automatically, though I would already be going through the whole process of re-saving it to a different location. And with databases like EbscoHost and ScienceDirezt, zotero often pulls a snapshot of the database webpage which I don't need at all as long as I have the citation info and pdf.

Thank you so much for your help. It would be nice to know how other people have set up systems like this.
  • First, let me say that saving the files outside of Zotero will have no effect on your database performance at all. Moving on:

<blockquote>Is the only way to do this to download the file, save it where I want it, and then manually link the zotero item to that file?</blockquote>
    Yes - use "attach link to file" (under the paper clip menu or in the right-click context menu "Add attachment". You may also want to have a look at the Zotfile plugin, which can automate a lot of this for you.

For your numbered questions
    1. no.
    2. Both will look for the link, but obviously the file-path needs to be the same, e.g. both computers need to load the flash drive to the same letter drive (e.g. E:// for Windows etc.). If the computers use different operating systems (i.e. one Windows one Mac) this likely won't work.
    3. In general yes if you're going to manually download the files anyway. Except if you're going to run Zotfile.
  • Adamsmith: Thank you so much for responding to my long question. I will experiment with this format and try out zotfile. I do have windows and mac so I will experiment with how it turns out. I (incorrectly) thought that all computers would load my USB to the same drive; thanks for pointing my attention to this.

As far as zotero performance, I have downloaded standalone and it is really working well to access zotero through that rather than the web browser. Doesn't slow down my browser at all.