[BUG] Blank Toolbar Button in Firefox

If Zotero is installed and the "Customize Toolbar" menu in Firefox is opened, there is a blank space in the toolbar button listing. Dragging this blank space to a toolbar creates a clickable button which (seemingly) does nothing. Uninstalling Zotero removes this button from both the toolbar and customization menu. This behavior seems to be present in Zotero 2.1.10 as well as the Zotero 3 betas.

Thought you would like to know about this issue.
  • What platform? This works fine for me on OS X.
  • Windows and Linux are the two platforms that I have tested this on. This has been going on for a while, so I do not think that the problem is due to a recent Firefox upgrade. (The earliest version that I can remember this "button" appearing in is Firefox 4, but it could have been present in 3.6 and I did not notice.)

The space for the blank button is very narrow so it may be a little hard to see. What first tipped me off about this was that all of the rows of the customization window had 4 icons except for one of them which had only 3. One day I accidentally dragged the blank space in this row to a toolbar and realized that it was actually a button. Hopefully this will help you visualize the situation a little better.
  • I get that empty button, too, though I didn't try if de-installing Zotero gets rid of it. Ubuntu 11.04, Zotero 2.1.10, FF 7.01.
    The empty button is to the left of the print button here, initially it was next to the Zotero icon:
    http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5028/screenshotwf.png
  • Yep, that's exactly the same problem that I am having. Have you tried just disabling Zotero (instead of uninstalling it) and seeing if the blank button goes away? Disabling Zotero also fixes the issue for me in Windows. Does it fix the issue for you in Linux?
  • nah - I'm not super interested to investigate - seems like a minor bug to me that should be fixed (and you're absolutely right to report it), but no big issue that's worth spending much time on.
  • edited October 15, 2011
    Fair enough. The reason that I asked you about it was just to verify that the behavior is exactly the same for someone other than myself. I browsed the Zotero source, but I did not see anything that in the source looked like it was creating an empty button. So I'm not convinced that it's the type of thing that I could contribute a solution to. (I'm a very inexperienced add-on developer.)

So with this in mind, as long as the issue has now been properly reported and recognized then I'll leave it to the developers to find a solution. Good luck and thanks for your time.