Edit citation text, but allow renumbering of citations (Word plugin)

In the Word plugin, I've been editing citations to change some to "et al." when there are multiple authors. That works fine.

However, I've just realised that if I add additional entries and update the bibliography, the citation numbers for the edited entries are not updated (this was a surprise to me - luckily I spotted it).

Would it be possible to add an option so that the numbers are correctly updated, and the user just controls the remainder of the citation text? (Or just make that the default. Is there any use case where someone would not want the numbers updated?)
  • This is harder to implement than it may seem on the surface. I'll keep it in mind on the processor side, though.
  • Also, something like et-al is really no reason to edit citations - this should be handled in the style. If a style is incorrect, please let us know and I can fix it, if this is your personal preference, this is really just about changing one number in a text file and very easy to do.
  • The style is correct. It's just that I'm working under a strict page limit, so I was shortening a few of the longer entries by replacing several of the authors by "et al.". I take your point though.