Style Request: [Plant Physiology]

I would like to suggest to add a style for the "Plant Physiology" journal. This was also requested by other users (discussions 16375, 15026 and 19769).

The guidelines for Plant Physiology are here :
http://www.plantphysiol.org/site/misc/ifora.xhtml#Literature%20cited

A starting point could be the Springer Author Date style.

Here are a first set of differences between the Plant Physiology and Springer Author Date styles:

In the text

- Plant Physiology expects "X et al., (year)" if >3 authors, "X and Y, (year)" if 2 authors, which seems to be similar Springer Author Date, but request to separate the year from author(s) by a comma
- "Grouped text citations should be arranged from the earliest to most recent year, alphabetized by name within the same year.". It seems that Springer Author Date does not do the same, although I admit I am a bit confused with the "keep sources sorted" button in the multiple citation editor.

Bibliography

Generally, compared to the Springer Author Date style:
- Authors should be in bold
- list of authors should be truncated to the first 10 authors followed by ", et al " also in bold.

Journal articles
- the volume number and following colon should be in bold
- there should be a space after the colon (before page numbers)
- remove the dot after the pages and the doi stuff
- Journal abbreviations should follow the BIOSIS List of Serials, I do not know what is the rule for the Springer Author Date style.

Book sections
- "In" after the section title should be in italics (not mentioned in the guidelines to authors, but noticed in a real paper)
- there should be ", ed," or ", eds," after the name(s) of the editor(s) of the book (instead of "(eds)" )

Books
I did not find indications for this item type so far, and did not identify publication which cited books to see how it was formatted.

According to the authors guidelines it should be cited as:
AuthorInBold A (year of publication) Title. Source Title, http://www.utopia.com/talent/lpb/muddex/essay

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • OK, a style is now up (will show up within 30mins). I wasn't very thorough and went mainly with your list, so please do spend some time testing, I'm happy to fix things that aren't working correctly.
  • So far the only correction that I would see from my tests would be to add a dot after "et al" in the text (but not in the bibliography - like what you said in discussion 18433). I will post other things to fix here if I find some.

Many thanks for your great help Adamsmith. With your impressive energy to respond to style requests, and with the style repository becoming more and more complete, at least some of my colleagues may get convinced to switch from Endnote to Zotero!
  • should be fixed now - update on the repository.
  • Thanks, it works perfectly now.