Creating a New Style: Facultat de Teologia de Catalunya

I'm creating a new style based on the official Handbook of Style of:
- Facultat de Teologia de Catalunya
- Facultat de Filosofia de Catalunya (Universitat Ramon Llull)
- Associació Bíblica de Catalunya
- (and ten more theological academic institutions)

http://www.teologia-catalunya.cat/recursos/Novetats/Llibres recomanats/LLibre_estil.pdf

I've used a previous style (INTER. Romanian Institute for Inter-Orthodox, Inter-Confessional and Inter-Religious Studies) and modified it.

The Style is almost done, but there are some details I'd like to ask.

1. The delimiter between authors (or editors) mut be an endash, even between the second to last and the last names (there must be no 'and'). I've tried with

<name delimiter=" &#x2013; " delimiter-precedes-last="always" sort-separator=", " font-variant="small-caps"/>

and it works with the first names, but it doesn't between the second to last and the last names (where other styles put the word 'and'). Instead the endash, a question mark appears (?). Obviously, when there are only two authors, there is a question mark.

2. SOLVED. The family name of authors (and editors, etc.) (and the non-dropping-particle) must be in "small-caps", but the given name in "normal".

Thanks for this great tool.

EDIT: Sorry, I have'nt seen this part: http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name-part-formatting
for the 2nd question (I'm with this only a few days).
  • 1. you're doing that exactly right and at least in the 3.0b version I can't replicate the problems you're having, looks exactly right for both two and more than two authors. Not sure why it's not working for you.

2. Yes, that's a known error in the documentation - name-part does need an end tag. Rintze told me he'll wait to fix it until csl 1.0.1 comes out (as I understand it's a bit complicated to fix documentation), sorry for the confuxion.
  • Thanks a lot, adamsmith.
    I'm working in my Ph.D. Dissertation and I don't want to use the beta version for now. I'll wait.
  • edited October 4, 2011
    More questions about localization:

I've modified the localization inside the Style because the Handbook calls for 'p.' and 'pp.' instead of 'pág.' 'págs.' and a few more changes. I'm working in Spanish, although the Handbook is in Catalan and I've added, after the <info> tag:

-----------------------------
    <locale xml:lang="es">
    <terms>
    <term name="accessed">consulta</term>
    <term name="page" form="short">
    <single>p.</single>
    <multiple>pp.</multiple>
    </term>
    (...)
    </terms>
    </locale>
    -----------------------------

1. Can I add also the localization 'ca' in the same CSL? Perhaps with one more <locale> tag (<locale xml:lang="es">) after the final </locale> and repeating the content. OR in the same locale tag (<locale xml:lang="es" xml:lang="ca">) OR with a space (<locale xml:lang="es ca">) ?

2. I'm interested in the Spanish and Catalan locale files. I think I can help.
  • 1. yes - just add separate locales, one after the other.
    2. great. The current locale files are here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales
    Just post the new (for ca) and improved (for es) files as public gists on gist.github.com and open a new thread pointing to them on the forum.

As for your original issue with hyphens - I'd expect this to go away in the next Zotero release - which might very well be 3.0 final, given that the beta is very stable.
  • Thanks adamsmith.

The en-dashes don't work for me:
    I'm using:
    - Zotero (Firefox plugin) 2.1.10
    - Firefox 3.6.23
    - Ubuntu 10.04
    - OpenOffice 3.2
    - Plugin OpenOffice 3.5b1
    - extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale: es-ES

But I've tried also with:
    - Zotero Standalone 3.0b2.1
    - Ubuntu 11.04
    - LibreOffice 3.3.3
    - Plugin LibreOffice 3.5b.1
    - extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale: ca-AD

And the result is the same. The line with < delimiter=" – " > produces:

Brown, Raymond E. – Fitzmyer, Joseph A. ? Murphy, Roland E., Nuevo Comentario Bíblico San Jerónimo. Nuevo Testamento y artículos temáticos, vol. II, Estella 2004.
    John R. Donahue ? Daniel J. Harrington, The Gospel of Mark, Collegeville 2002, pp. 321–323.

both in notes and bibliography; the last en-dash becomes a question mark.
    I've tried changing the <delimiter-precedes-last> attribute. I don't know more.

For the Catalan and Spanish translations I've seen the github page. I'd like to know if there is anybody working on them. How can I know that?
  • there is no one working on those locales - I completed the es locale as far as I was confident of my Spanish, but checking and finishing would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure no one has touched Catalan.

about the question mark - how does it look in chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul ?
  • edited October 4, 2011
    Oh!
    In chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul it looks perfect:

Brown, Raymond E. – Fitzmyer, Joseph A. – Murphy, Roland E., Nuevo Comentario Bíblico San Jerónimo. Nuevo Testamento y artículos temáticos, vol. II, Estella 2004.

John R. Donahue – Daniel J. Harrington, The Gospel of Mark, Collegeville 2002.
  • I mean, that works in chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul with the correct en-dashes, but I still get the question mark in OpenOffice, where can the problem be then? In the plug-in?
  • New Citation Style for "teologia-catalunya" uploaded in:

https://gist.github.com/2711197

Please, add it to the repository. Thanks.