pdfs won't open in browser

Hello everyone,

my pfd-files don't open in FF, however it was like this a long time ago. I have the latest Zotero version, (2.1.10), FF 7.0.1 (but the problem existed also in FF6 and I think already in FF5), a Win7 system at work and a MacOSx 10.6 at home.

I don't know why, but some months ago my pdfs opened in FF for maybe 1 or 2 weeks, but now it's again that doubleclicking on the files opens Adobe Reader.

Here is my Bug-ID:

D1901752745

Any ideas about what to do??

Thanks

Philipp
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues

The value of extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles in about:config can also affect this, if you ever changed it.
  • And, obviously, you need a working PDF plugin for PDFs to open in Firefox. I assume you've checked that PDFs from webpages open in Firefox?
  • Hi Dan,

thanks for your answers.

I tried deleting mimeTypes.rdf already, i read about this issue in other threads before. I retried this today, but it didn't solve my problem.

Other pdfs do open directly in my browser.

I also checked the value of extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles in about:config, there is no change either with false or true. (I think it should be false, is that right?)

What else can I try?

thanks

Philipp
  • On Windows, you might need to restart your computer (or use Task Manager) make sure Firefox completely restarts after deleting that file. You can also try a new Firefox profile.

Zotero doesn't really have much to do with what gets opened. All it does is check whether Firefox reports that something can open the file internally (i.e., natively or with a plugin). In your case, as far as Zotero can tell, it can't:
    MIME type application/pdf cannot be handled internally
  • All that doesn't help.

What abot the DB repair tool? Someone with a similar problem resetted styles and translators, and afterwards he run the DB repair tool.

??
  • nothing to do with the db (or with styles and translators for that matter). FF file handling is just weird - I would maybe try playing around some with the application settings in the FF preferences - maybe that gets you somewhere.
  • edited October 5, 2011
    What makes me wonder is that the problem occured almost at the same time on both of my machines. This is why I think it could be linked to a corrupt database. Or the problem is linked to some Adobe Reader updates, however these were installed automatically, standard routine.
  • No, it doesn't have anything to do with the Zotero database.

An Acrobat Reader update could potentially cause it—again, it's all about what Firefox reports it can handle.
  • hmm

just one more thing:

FF gives me options for handling different filetypes. Mostly the designated action is >>use Adobe Reader (in Firefox)<<

However one filetype is >>Adobe Acrobat Document (application/force-download<< . Here i can't choose >>use Adobe in FF<<, i can only choose >>save to<< or >>use adobe reader<<.

And here is my question:

Who tells firefox that the filetype of my pdf is >>Adobe Acrobat Document (application/force-download)<< and not >>Adobe Acrobat Document (application/pdf)<< ???

If i could change that, i guess it would work

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/screenshotff7settings.jpg/
  • The website does, but the file you're trying to open in Zotero is application/pdf (as indicated by the debug output above).
  • well, it may not have worked for phweisser but deleting the mime entry worked for me. Much obliged everyone!