Cannot sync on new Lion computer: "First and Last Name are Empty in Zotero.Creator.Save()"

Hello:

I just installed the newest version of zotero on a new computer running Lion OS, Firefox 6.0.2. I cannot sync. I have never successfully managed to sync on this new mac.

This is the error ID: 1747081798
This is the error log:

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]

---

I tried a forced reset--"Restore from Zotero Server."

Syncing or attempting a force reset both produce the same error message: "First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()"

--

I am continuing to sync successfully from my old Snow Leopard mac.

--
What can I do to fix this problem? I checked the forum first but did not find something comparable, sorry.
  • We're looking into this. It appears to be due to an upstream bug in software we're using on the server. It's unrelated to your OS.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Is there another way I can at least move my zotero files to the new computer, or should I wait for the fix to come in? I tried to save it and manually move it on a USB stick, but doesn't seem to work either.
  • edited October 1, 2011
    I'm also getting a new error now:

Error log id:751994246

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()"]

• I tried to save it and manually move it on a USB stick, but doesn't seem to work either.
    could you elaborate? That should really work without problems.
  • edited October 3, 2011
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library

These instructions haven't changed in years, so you'll have to provide more information on what exactly you're doing and what's not working.

We are, however, working on fixing the upstream bug (which, to be clear, means that it's a bug in software we didn't write). No one has reported this before, so this is the first we've seen it.
  • OK, it required a major OS upgrade across our servers, but the sync issue you were facing should now be fixed.
  • Hello:

Thank you for doing that, that must have been a lot of work.

Perhaps the error is being generated by some other issue? I'm wondering because I cannot sync on a new second computer where I just installed zotero (this time a PC).

This is the error log information:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Username not set"]

[JavaScript Error: "Username not set" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 891}]

Thank you for your help.

The version of Zotero that I installed on the new PC is 2.1.10.
  • Sorry, by "the error," I mean, my inability to sync from multiple computers.
  • "username not set" should really just mean that - you haven't set your username in the sync preferences. Double-check.
  • Thank you for the suggestion, but that is not the case. Also, I have just downloaded the standalone zotero on all the computers that I have been having this problem on and I can sync perfectly fine on those. The problem is limited to the zotero version (latest editions) that runs within the Firefox browser on my new PC and Macs.
  • That error message really should mean what it says—and when you click the sync icon manually, you should see a more verbose dialog explaining it with a link to the Sync preferences.

But, for what it's worth, you're using a very old version of Firefox, 3.6.12. At the very least, you should be running 3.6.23. It's possible that something is broken in the version you have. If the problem persists after upgrading, you could try a new Firefox profile, in case something related to the Firefox password manager is corrupted in your old one.
  • First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()
  • which Zotero and/or Firefox versions?
  • First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()

Using the Stand Alone trying to sync to online group, we all use Google Chrome for internet.
  • are you the same user/group as htadess1 above nor not?
    Which Zotero version (check under Help -->About Zotero in Standalone).
  • Yes I am version 4.0.8
  • Sorry was reading to quick I am in the same group not user
  • could one of you provide a debug ID comprising a failed sync?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
    then Dan needs to take a look.
  • Here it is, The Debug ID is D488132545.
  • Report ID:594787293
  • htadess1: The issue in your library is probably fixed. Let me know if you're still having trouble. If this is happening in a group library or in mbronzert's library, we'll need to address that separately. I'll be putting a broader fix for this issue in place later today.
  • Thanks Dan
    It is working now.
  • Report ID: 560370291

JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error: First and last name are empty in Zotero.Creator.save()' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "native frame :: <unknown filename> :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 0" data: no

The problem seems to be not fixed.
    Error occurs whilst syncing.
    Using fresh install of 4.0.8 on both Windows and Linux x64.
  • ninas7: How about now?
  • It's working now. Thank you very much.