Sync produces multiple versions

I have problems with synching as I move between 3 computers. I click on the arrow to get it to sync each time, but now I usually get a message to say that conflicts have arisen and I have to chose between versions on the 63 items - usually on the rather pointless "snapshots" of items I saved weeks ago. But the versions are usually identical, created at the same time, and there is only one "choose this version" button so I have no choice anyway. Today I started work by deleting a number of libraries I didn't need, then sync immediateley put them all back again! If I sync every time, how do conflicts arise? Why doesn't it accept my latest action as the one to keep?
I am getting an error during sync which says "getFile() can only be called on attachment items" but don't know whether this has anything to do with it.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/repeated_conflicts explains what's happening.

Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error.
  • Sorry, last time I added to an existing thread and you asked me to create a new one. I have just got the debug ID D1535427506.
  • Hi again. I'm working on the same session and it started syching again with another red warning. The number is 628173866.I also got a debug ID which is D903458961.
  • Sorry, last time I added to an existing thread and you asked me to create a new one.
    The point is just not to post to other people's unrelated threads. Once you have your own for an issue, you should continue to post to that.

http://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#existing_thread_or_new_thread

We'll look into your sync issue.
  • Does your database pass the integrity check in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • I've just logged in with no sync issues.
  • So you're saying it's fixed now?
  • I don't know - this is just one of my 3 computers on one occasion. I'll report any further sync issues. Thanks.
  • Hi. This issue has just resurfaced. I was away from my university computer for 2 weeks and used another computer, making sure synching was completed each time. As soon as I started Zotero today there was an error message, but I had no information once the dialog box was closed so don't know how to send it.

Then it came up with 120 synch errors and I had to click on each one to select the version I wanted. These were all changes which I had made subseqently on the other computer. Many were deletions, but no option was offered to leave the item deleted - only the "local" or "merged" versions which were the same. I have a Word document with screen shots if there is some way to send it to you.

I'm concerned that I'm losing work when I change computers and it's difficult to keep track of changes I've made.

Database integrity checks OK and the debug ID is D1509158866.
  • You can send a file to support@zot....org, with a link to the relevant forum thread.
  • Hi again
    When I returned to my home computer everything appeared to sync OK. After working on it for a while I got a further error with ID 1494748058, but I don't know what the cause is or what it is doing.
  • getFile() can only be called on attachment items
    You're getting the same error you reported at the beginning of this thread, which is probably the cause behind all the trouble you're having.

Check your database integrity in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs. If it fails, use the DB Repair Tool. Otherwise, provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces this error.