Loading time

I often need to open Zotero to quickly add, get or look at something while I am in the middle of doing something else. The time Firefox takes to load felt a disruption to the flow of work when I was using Zotero as Firefox add-ons. Now that I have switched to Zotero standalone I found it to take even more time to load. I had the expectation that the standalone version would be quicker to load because it is “standalone” - it now loads on its own alone.

Can some please explain what happens in the background that makes Zotero standalone to take time to load? Are there any options that can be turned on and off which might improve the loading time. I hope that Zotero developers will look into improving the loading time. I have also posted a request in the “Feature Requests” forum to add an option to let Zotero keep running in Windows Systray as a way to address this issue.
  • Zotero caches data at startup. We might be able to speed up initial loading in the future, but if you just don't close it unnecessarily, this won't be a problem.