How to publish grey literature with metadata detected

Hello,

Would somebody please explain to me in easy words (no It-lingo) how to publish my grey literature on the internet.

I have:
a wordpress blog
a slideshare account
a zotero account
a mendeley account

I further have:
powerpoint presentations, word and pages documents, that I transform in pdf for uploading

I would like to:
- add metadata to the pdf-files so that they travel with the document when copied - is that possible?
- not to have to type metadata everytime when uploading documents

What I have tried:
- used the metadata function in MS Office - overwritten by pdf metadata when generated, plus many fields from document metadata standards missing
- generated metadata with a Dublin Core metadata generator and inserted the xml, html and xhtml code on one presentation slide each, stored it as pdf and imported this pdf to both Zotero and Mendeley. The metadata were not extracted from the document.
- typed the metadata for mayby the 1000th time today, this time in Zotero according to the "Generate COinS from Zotero tutorial". But now I do not know, how to export the data. I have a mac, both drag-n-drop or copy and paste are not working. And COinS does not appear in the list of citation styles. What do I do?

Are Zotero and Mendeley the right places to put own grew literatur at all?
As I find the profile page on Mendeley with an overview over publications appealing, I have tried this today: typed the metadata in Mendeley, synched it and went on the item page there. Then, presuming that somebody else would use another program to get the metadata and the file, I imported the data to Zotero. Unfortunately, only half the data I originally typed in really went into Zotero and in the right place.

Regarding Zotero: I don't really see the point in hiding the presentations in a CV tab, plus: is there any possibility for third party users to download a file from a Zotero data set at all? Do I have to open a "group" for this purpose?

Mayby the files should be stored in a whole different place like the Internet Archive or some Grey Literature archive.

How do you see it? What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot.

Nicole
  • I can't answer all of this (also, please number questions when you have that many), but some:

Zotero neither stores nor reads data from/into the metadata tags of pdf files.

Currently COinS would likely be the easiest way to go The COinS export should show up if you use "Export items" as well as in the quick-copy export format dropdown menu in the export preferences. Also, Zotero automatically includes COinS when you create a bibliography as html. If you can't find the COinS option, please make sure you have the most recent version of Zotero and then describe where exactly you're looking.

Zotero (or Mendeley) are certainly a good place to store grey literature, but the problem is that there are no standards for grey literature comparable to books or journal articles and thus moving data between different software is more problematic.

You cannot use your Zotero account to effectively publish files - for copyright reasons, files are only share-able in non-public groups.

My sense would be that your best bet for getting what you want is to publish your files on your wordpress site using the Zotpress plugin, but I don't know much about that so someone else would have to chime in.