Question mark instead of hyphen in multiple citation

I'm using zotero 2.1.10 with OpenOffice 3.3, plugin 3.5b1, on Unbuntu 11.04. When I insert multiple citations, I get a question mark instead of a hyphen between the citation numbers, like this:

Here is some interesting work (1?3).

1. Carninci, P. et al. The transcriptional landscape of the mammalian genome. Science 309, 1559-1563 (2005).
2. Carninci, P. et al. Genome-wide analysis of mammalian promoter architecture and evolution. Nat Genet 38, 626-635 (2006).
3. Ravasi, T. et al. An Atlas of Combinatorial Transcriptional Regulation in Mouse and Man. Cell 140, 744-752 (2010).

I can fix this manually, but I'd really like to stop it from happening! Any ideas?
Thanks.
  • that's a known bug. It's fixed in the next Zotero version and will fix the citations retroactively. If you 're in a hurry you can install the trac version of Zotero and switch back to the regular branch when the next version comes out.
  • Thanks for the fast response!
  • Upgrade to latest version did not fix this problem. Using OpenOffice 3.3.0 with Zotero 2.1.1.0 and OpenOffice integration v. 3.5b2.
  • 2.1.10 is the same version as above - you can install the stable beta version now or wait until it turns into a final release.
  • Upgrading to 3.0b also didn't fix it.
  • Nature Chemistry
  • Try installing "Nature Journal" (which is identical) and see if that fixes things.
  • Switched to Nature Journal and problem persists, even after restarting both OpenOffice and Firefox.
  • Hmm, makes no sense to me.
    Have you tried switching to an entirely different style (e.g. an author-date style like Harvard or APA) and back?
    Check how things look in the reference test pane:
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul (paste into your URL bar like a web address).

There's a small chance that this is related to Ooo - I generally don't trust the Ooo releases anymore since they basically gave up on the project after 3.2 - it might be worth trying Libre Office, though no guarantees.
  • Just by way of info, the question mark means the word processor doesn't know how to render the character in the current font. The bug in the processor (which should now be fixed as adamsmith says) was caused by a bad encoding of the en-dash. It is possible that the word processor is stumbling over that character in the current font, so you might try twiddling that as well, to see if it changes things.