Odd Word Plug-In Error

All of the changes detailed below validate.

Now I have a new error. Before making these changes, using the same word plug-in (regardless of the Zotero installation), I was able to insert citations. Now, when working from the SVN build, the following occurs:

1) Click insert citation. I get expected screen asking me to choose a style format.
2) I select the style format and get

"An error has occurred communicating with Firefox...."

Solutions tried so far:
1) Refresh Chrome.
2) Reinstall build.
3) Replace changed files with clean (unaltered) copies, uninstall, and reinstall.
4) Check VBA for 1.0.b... number for all templates and tried each for both builds. (Didn't seem to make a difference.)
5) Swapped to the unaltered SQlite database after doing a clean build.

Please help! Thanks.

Further details:
I am working with two versions of Zotero. One is an svn build. Both are on a Windows XP Pro machine using Word 2002 and Firefox 2.0. The following files within the SVN build were changed. Cite.js and zotero.properties. These were changed to add new document types (treaty and federal register notice) which are necessary within my organization. Additional changes were made to the mappings and the itemTypeFields in the SQlite. (Done to correct Bill entry (by definition no Code/Code Volume) and to add the new doc types.
  • Check Report Errors under the Actions menu in Zotero after you get the communication error. If you send in an error report, post the Report ID here.
  • Error Posted: 819717082

Just FYI: According to my editor, bold text is the error location in the report....

// Fall back to en-US if no locales.xml
    if (!xml) {
    var loc = 'en-US';
    var req = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/xmlextras/xmlhttprequest;1"].
    createInstance();
    req.open("GET", prefix + loc + ext, false);
    req.overrideMimeType("text/plain");

req.send(null);

Zotero.CSL.Global._xmlLang = loc;
    var xml = req.responseText;
    }
  • Zotero can't find the chrome/content/zotero/locale/csl/locales-en-US.xml file.
  • Hmm.... chrome/content/zotero/locale is empty. I just checked the svn repository and also came up empty. Any ideas?
  • The locales directory uses svn:externals to pull the locales from the XBiblio project (home of CSL). Have you done an svn update? Are you using the official SVN client?
  • Yes to both...
  • What does 'svn st' show in chrome/content/zotero/locale?

Are you using the 1.0 branch?
  • Dan:

Thanks for all your help with this. I just swapped machines for a while. I will check this as soon as I get back (probably 6'ish).

Kristle
  • Dan,

Thanks for all your help. I believe the problem was a platform issue and not related to Zotero. My original dev build was downloaded on a Mac. After digging through the error files, I found that there was a validation error. I just downloaded another svn build via Linux and it works beautifully (and as expected). Now, hopefully this work on Windows (which I only use at work). It should (in theory at least) :) . (Yes, I am crazy to be running this many operating systems; two of which are by choice).

Thanks again!

Kristle